Bumps on a Green spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tympst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently been looking for a green spotted puffer for my 30 long tank. My LFS has had two in recently but while looking them over I noticed that both (which came in at different times) have raised "bumps"(for lack of a better word) on their backs and or sides. I asked the sales person about it and they said the manager had said that a lot of Green spotted Puffers develop these "Bumps" I am hesitant to purchase these and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this or has had experience with their green spotteds growing bumps.

I see them too at one bad LFS. I know many other LFS that have puffers with no bumps at all. I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

Turn your tank into a SW system. Then when you buy your puffer, drip acclimate him for SW system. This will help effectively keep your puffer healthy. 30g long would be 36x18x12. Its kind of small IMO. I think you will enjoy keeping 2 figure 8 puffers in that tank IMO.

I really dont like the figure eight puffers as much. the Green spotted puffers have a much better build and face imo. As for doing a SW tank I thought that the green spotteds and figure eights did better in brackish

Green spotted are actually high-end brackish water fish. It is very impractical to keep them in that level of water because these fish require 50% water changes weekly. If you premix the water with salt for a salt level of 1.015, then you will end up using a lot of salt. The conversion to saltwater helps decrease the expenses in the long-run. The downside is that you will have a large expenditure for up-front cost. Many GSP keepers go for the SW conversion.

These fish live a lot longer in the condition described above. If you end up keeping them in FW or light-BW, then their lifespan will shorten significantly and they will not grow to max 6-7inches.

The 30g minimum rule was these fish in high-end BW water. If you go with SW, then the minimum would be 40g because you will need >50 pounds of live rocks in the tank for biological filtration.

F8 puffers are truly light BW fish. 1.003-1.005

This is getting pricey fast lol. lucky for me my bf still has a lot of SW stuff I can use. Guess I need to up the tank though. well back to square one. Thanks for the advice Terrance

I have seen these too in GSPs. Anyone know why these bumps are caused?

Virus? Bacteria? Parasite? Are they wounds from being wild caught? From stress? Or just a natural phenomenon.

Green spotted do well in full marine when they are adults... When you get them small (under 2in) they are in light bw then you slowly acclimate them as they get bigger.

No don't get them with bumps sounds like a parasite my LFS never has bimps

Converting from light BW to SW requires more resources, time, and energy. Its a whole lot easier setting up a SW system at the beginning. Many people do the conversion since they got a GSP in a FW/BW system, and they do not know about proper care or they will "do it eventually".

Easier = better care.

The "bumps" didn't look like a parasite, not that it meant that it wasn't, but more like a growth of some sorts. However I have no intentions of buying those from my LFS. Just wanted to see if anyone who owned them had ever seen them.
THanks for the input guys.

Terrance said:
Converting from light BW to SW requires more resources, time, and energy. Its a whole lot easier setting up a SW system at the beginning. Many people do the conversion since they got a GSP in a FW/BW system, and they do not know about proper care or they will "do it eventually".

Easier = better care.

Did not know that.. I've been doing research on puffers (planning on getting one/some) but I think I'm sticking with DP so I can put plants in lol.

This is about the best i could find.... from GSPFAQs

I have 3 small green spotted puffers in a 30 gal brackish tank. <adorable fish... you are keeping them brackish, right? what's your salinity?> They are all eating well and are very lively. I have had them about two weeks and two of them have developed small bumps (no discoloration-just raised areas) under their skin. The bumps were first noticed on their bellies and now one fish has a couple on his side. I need help in determining what these bumps are and if I need to treat them. Please reply-Thanks for the advice. <tough to diagnose from a general description of the symptom, but here goes: if the bumps/dots are symmetrical and identical in size... and not larger than a common grain of salt (as opposed to an uncommon 5lb grain...in which case you can forget the quarantine tank and just find a small deer to lick it off, hehehe) you may very well be dealing with an external parasite. Not at all uncommon with this species and not as obvious to you compared to pictures of large-scaled fishes in books. You must be very careful using medication with these fish and follow manufacturer's recommendations for scaleless fishes (or halve the dose for twice the time). Otherwise, large or asymmetrical bumps will rule out most if not all common parasites and you'll look for other pathogenic symptoms. I would highly recommend Dieter Untergasser's Handbook of Fish Diseases. A great and easy to understand book with pictures and fool-proof flow charts. We need to narrow the puffers condition down before we medicate. In the meantime... look for medicated fish food at the LFS and maintain consistent water quality. I'm (educated) guessing that your fish have common white spot and will need a parasite medication. Keep us posted, Anthony>

Back
Top Bottom