Bushy Nose Pleco trying to jump out of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg213

Aquarium Advice Regular
For the last few days my bushy nose pleco has been trying to jump out of the tank, and now I notice he has a little spot on his nose from hitting the top of the tank.

From what I know these guys arent jumpers, but I could be wrong. Ive checked all of the water parameters...they look fine and have not changed in the 4-5 months that Ive had this guy.

I know that they like to hide, so Im considering doing a "re-design" in the tank to add another bigger slate cave for him to hide in, hopefully that might make him more comfortable and less likely to try and jump out?

Only other thing I can figure is that he is as excited as I am about baseball season getting started and he wants to jump on the couch and watch Yankee games with me? :)

Anyt thoughts?

my pleco was doing that for a while until he got to the point to where he was sucking himself out of the tank, but after i added more water he is not able to and i haven't seen him trying to do it any more....maybe they just want some fresh air..lol

LOL fresh air...oi.

Take a good look at the inside of the top of the tank bmg. If all the parameters are ok (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40ppm or less nitrates), and the plec isn't showing any signs of illness, there may be some algae or something stuck under the hood that your guy is trying to get it.

Of course, it COULD be the Yankee season. I totally understand that.

I had a Albino Pleco that would " suction walk " his way all the way out of the water.

He would eventually realise he couldn't live WITHOUT water, and jump back in.

Allivymar said:
LOL fresh air...oi.

Take a good look at the inside of the top of the tank bmg. If all the parameters are ok (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40ppm or less nitrates), and the plec isn't showing any signs of illness, there may be some algae or something stuck under the hood that your guy is trying to get it.

Of course, it COULD be the Yankee season. I totally understand that.

Well, I cleaned the entire inside of the hood...and I am happy to say that there have been exactly 0 attempts by my pleco to join me on my couch. Thanks for the great advice! :)

Excellent! Glad to hear he's decided to stay in the tank now LOL

My little brother's plec committed suicide that way. Unfortunately, he didn't find the poor plec until several days later. Poor little guy was stiff as a board. 8O RIP It was creepy, I felt so bad. I dont think my bro is ready to have fish. But I never would have guessed it was an algae thing. Those little buggers are so elusive.

Mine does the same thing... I always figured he was just swimming to fast to get to the air ( I was told they don't breathe through their gills like bettas and such) Mine has hit his head quite a few times. He makes me afriad to take the hood off for fear he will jump out. Are you sure it is for baseball though?? I thinking more of the basketball. Go figure. At least I know I am not alone in this situation. I am so glad I joined this site. I love you guys. really I do! :D

Mine does the same thing... I always figured he was just swimming to fast to get to the air ( I was told they don't breathe through their gills like bettas and such) Mine has hit his head quite a few times. He makes me afriad to take the hood off for fear he will jump out. Are you sure it is for baseball though?? I thinking more of the basketball. Go figure. At least I know I am not alone in this situation. I am so glad I joined this site. I love you guys. really I do! :D

Back
Top Bottom