Butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tadpole1567

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sooo I picked this guy/girl up yesterday. Not super familiar with this type of fish so can Yall give me some tips and pointers on them. I did some research of course before I purchased it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425042849.995797.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425042868.728753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are jumpers, and they are predatory, so they may eat smaller danios and tetras. I believe they max out at about 5 inches long

Put a tight fitting lid overtop to keep it from jumping.

They are carnivores and will only eat live and frozen food.

They will consume any small fish such as neon tetras, scarlet badis, and celestial pearl danios.

Got the tight fitted lid already and I have freeze dried bloodworms. He ate some brine shrimp yesterday but not much.

I've got him in a tank with angle fish 2 dwarf flame gouramis 2 pictus catfish and of course my plecos. They all seem to be doing perfect.

He's really cool, always wanted to put one in with my elephant nose but wasn't sure if it was a great idea :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Omg I bet your tank is gorgeous!

Thanks! It would be if he'd leave my plant's alone :eek:

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

They are carnivores and will only eat live and frozen food.

I have two butterfly fish, I feed them small dried tubifex worms in the morning and live crickets in the evening.

Mine absolutely love to hide and we've in and out of floating plants (I have Brazilian Pennywart floating).

You will be shocked at how big their mouth actually is. It opens like a cargo door in a military airplane. I've seen my 5" ABF eat a very large cricket.

Love these fish. You could head over to Freshwater and Brackish- Fish/Plant Profiles and read my post on these fish. There's plenty of information.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you guys ? I've got tubifex worms but haven't tried the crickets. I'll go get some small ones today and see how he likes them. And some more floating plants.

Back
Top Bottom