Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not suggesting they will, nor am I making any statements about goldfish or the end owners of these fish. Just the bettas that are kept in those little cups with infrequent to no water changes. The less that are purchased, the less they will order/sell, hence the less that will die in those little cups on the shelves. It's my personal choice to not put money into the bettas being kept in that fashion any longer and, I'd like to encourage other hobbyists to avoid purchasing bettas if they don't agree with the matter in which they are being kept prior to purchase. It is, after all, the same misconception that they can do fine in these little cups that leads owners to keep them in containers much too small.

You can buy bettas from a breeder on aquabid, or directly from their websites. Severum mama and HN1 on this site sell them sometimes also, and they do not keep them in bowls. Just my thoughts on buying a new a betta.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva
I highly encourage you to purchase your new betta directly from a breeder. If you can find one who actually keeps all their bettas properly, that would be even better. I feel like we as hobbyists need to stop purchasing bettas from places like Petsmart and Petco. Don't get me wrong, I've purchased many from Petco in the past, but now I've decided to only buy from breeders and/or to start breeding them myself. I don't want to support the whole betta industry anymore. Those fish are being treated just terribly. I never walk into my Petco without seeing bettas dead in their cups or close to it. If we stop buying them, they'll have to stop ordering so many, and less and less will suffer. I know we often feel like we are saving them when we purchase from these places but, in fact our purchases just lead to the suffering of more bettas. JMO.
I absolutely agree. I used to be one of the people who believed in "rescuing" the poor little fish from those conditions...but the fact is for every one you buy...they'll just replace it with another and you'll be financially supporting the practice of how they're marketed.

I can't remember which member made this comparison (jeta or SM?), but Walmart is a great example. Many of them provide horrific conditions for their fish...and over time hobbyists have stopped purchasing from them, despite the fact we as animal lovers feel like we'd be "rescuing" them. As a result, Walmart seems to be getting out of the fish business. I know the new ones they've build near me no longer carry live fish.

eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
I absolutely agree. I used to be one of the people who believed in "rescuing" the poor little fish from those conditions...but the fact is for every one you buy...they'll just replace it with another and you'll be financially supporting the practice of how they're marketed.

I can't remember which member made this comparison (jeta or SM?), but Walmart is a great example. Many of them provide horrific conditions for their fish...and over time hobbyists have stopped purchasing from them, despite the fact we as animal lovers feel like we'd be "rescuing" them. As a result, Walmart seems to be getting out of the fish business. I know the new ones they've build near me no longer carry live fish.
Unfortunately I went to my local one today. For the longest time they did not have fish. But they are in the process of remodeling the whole store. I went to the new fish section and what did I see..... two rows of very small, empty fish tanks with gravel and water and lights on, just waiting for fish shipments.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, betta aquabid petsmart

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com