buying aquarium 'kits'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tetrin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i saw a package deal at my lfs. they r offering a 29g tank with fluorescent fitting, 100W submersible heater (don't know company), whisper 30(150gph) filter and a few other useless junk. they priced it at $100...do you guys think its ok to buy stuff this way or assemble different components separately...
i had previously decided on a ebo jager and a aquaclear filter.
any comments would be very appreciated...cause my friends r really teasing me sometimes on me spending money on fishes :roll: and i don't want to feed them more ammo...
tia

Well, It would be better to purchase some higher quality components seprately, but that is a good price for a starter tank. Is this your first tank?

I think it depends on whether you plan to keep high-maintenance plants in the tank. If that is the case, you would probably need to upgrade the lights.

If you plan on an unplanted or simply planted (Java moss, Java fern) tank, compare the kit cost with the cost of the tank, lid, filter, and lighting alone.

If this is like most kits, the heater is probably a piece of junk, which should be replaced immediately.

Judging by how much space I give to storing unwanted aquarium equipment, in hindsight it would have made more sense to save up my money and buy the absolute best, buy it once, on the almost sure assumption that I will want to upgrade anyway. Planning ahead can save tons of money in this hobby in the long term. That does not mean I would have followed my own advice at the time - just because you don't have the $$ for the best doesn't mean you don't still want a tank up and running. :)

What would be good is to find a great deal on a tank and stand, and buy your other components individually, in a perfect world :wink:

One option I will likely use when I buy another tank is buying used. I see a lot of 'steals' in the paper or on ebay that I've passed up on cause I value my life. I've seen a 29 gallon with everything go for as low as $30 just this week. That includes a stand though it appeared to be homemade. You take some chances with components not working or breaking soon, but with a really low initial investment it doesn't hurt as much as buying a new kit and having to buy new immediately. I've seen the kits and I laugh at what's included in them.

If you do go the used route, insist on seeing the tank filled with water and then stand there and talk about anything for a good long while to make sure it doesn't leak. Seeing the other components work is also a benefit and you can always look the components up on the net to see how good they are.

Just my thoughts

jeez, thanks a million, u guys r really fast :eek: ...well i really appreciate the help...
this is kinda going to be my third tank...the first one was a 10g which i asssembled about a month ago, then there's a 5g which (against all sanity) i am going to use as a hospital tank (but instead put three black tetras instead :oops: )...
actually i bought two fishes that r really uncomfortable in a 10g...a rainbow (ruby?)shark and an albino channel cat...the shark recently has become very very aggressive and seems to hate everybody else in the tank (there are two ruby barbs and a black tetra along with him)...
about plants, i really am not inclined towards high maintenance plants right now...so lighting won't be a problem, i'm ready to go along with java moss/fern, ancharis and hornwort...
and tankgirl, i LOVE the ideal world , but i'm too impatient to save for such a long time to buy a 55g (which i dream of)...and i feel it'd be unfair to the fishes too...i'm too inexperienced to handle such a big setup...i know i know...bigger is better....but i have absolute faith in me messing it all up...and knowing me, i'll probably worry myself to death on how the fishies are feeling...the more the worse...maybe someday....
mitche...ebay really is great if you can pickup the tank and accessories...and since i don't have a car yet...but i'll keep my eyes peeled for anything local...

i really don't know what i'm going to do...but i'll hope for the best...
anyways, thanks again...really couldn't live without u guys...

Yep, I've seen some good buys on ebay, in CA... :evil: Not many in OH. No one ships a tank and I wouldn't expect them to. Keep your eyes open. There's actually a post a work for a 125g? tank with stand hood, equip, but they are asking $500. It's worth it, but I don't want to drop that much money into a tank now.

thanks chas...but i'm definitely not trying anything above 30g...at least for the time being, apart from space considerations, there's also my time-tested ability to goof up...
and now i'm sceptical bout the kit...i might end up buying stuff from different places... :)

I don't necessarily mean buy a 55, you should stick with your 29gal plans, I just mean buy the BEST substrate and the BEST filter and the BEST heater and the BEST hood/light assembly.

I have several cheap inadequate filters and many cheap lights, and tons of leftover gravel when I decided to switch to a plant substrate, and not to mention several cheap heaters that I should just throw out. I still run small tanks, but when I bought a kit I wound up replacing everything but the actual glass tank.

I'd have to agree w/ T.G., decide what your gonna do first, then plan from there. i've been MORE than fortunate to find the deals I have, I'm not one to have to have the best and newest, latest greatest,, but i will spend it if I can't find an alternative either used or DIY, if it's better for the fish then spend it. if you let enough people know your into fish, they'll give stuff to you

ok...so the verdict is clear and i have decided to go with it...i will look up the best or at least something close to it...and then buy it...thanks guys...
so here goes...
all glass aquarium
All-Glass Aquarium Black 30" Fluorescent Deluxe Full Hood
ebo jager heater
aquaclear filter (canister or other types are too costly for me)
thanks again

Back
Top Bottom