Buying filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to get some new filter cartridges for my tanks, I've been running these for a while and they hardly push water anymore. I have the aquaon quiet flows. Two large filters and one medium. I want to buy them in bulk, but they are so expensive. I work at Petsmart and out large 12 pack is $49. Do you guys have any tips or tricks on finding cheap replacement cartridges???

Yeah I occasionally rinse them out. I've had these cartridges going on almost 5 months. They have activated carbon, which is wore out and the floss is pretty rough and strung out.

I run a couple aqueon qf, I use cut to fit blue floss and fluval sponges, works good!

Petmountain.com is the cheapest that I see and I'm in central Jersey. out of curiosity what size tank?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you work at Petsmart then you have access to the Marineland cut to fit bulk pack of filter fiber. It blue on one side and white on the other. Last time I bought mine it was about 8 bucks. You cut them to the same size as your stock pad with scissors. They can be rinsed out and reused many times and a pack would last you a long time. You don't need the charcoal unless you have bad smells in the tank or are removing medication. OS.

My two large filters run on my 29g and my medium runs on my 15g. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390928301.318788.jpg

If you use cut to fit just keep the plastic frame in the filter you currently have.

I have a 10g with filter cartridge. Instead of changing them, I now rinse one of the three cartridge under the tap with high pressure to remove the brown nasty thing. It kill BB's on it, so only rinse one cartridge / two weeks.

Garbage your cartridges only when there's nothing to do with them (Filter pad dying I mean) or it will cost you a fortune to replace them !

I bought cartridges in bulk on EBay for an Eclipse but would pull a frame out of one and go cut to fit now. It's definitely cheaper. And, you could still put some carbon in a mesh media bag if you like using it.

Back
Top Bottom