Buying fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpb1216

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone got a good online source to buying fish? Al my LFS are just all pet stores and their fish section ain't the greatest.. Just bought some danios and one died in the bag and one isn't even a danio!

I use Oddballfish.com, Mellow Aquatics, LiveAquaria, and AquariumFish.net. Also there are members here that sell fish. Aquabid and Ebay are other choices but check into sellers if you buy from one.

Thanks man I'm pretty sure you're in all my threads.

Do you guys know how these places catch or get their fish?

Oddballfish and Mellow Aquatic's breeds theirs, and places like LiveAquaria get fish in from brokers, many but not all are wild caught, which is no different than the bulk of fish that LFS's, PetCo, PetSmart, etc. do.

And you never know if they have been or not so unless you find breeders that breed/raise their own fish you don't have alot of choice as where to buy them at since you'll never know where or how they were caught or how many dealers they have gone through before reaching the place that eventually sells them to the public.

Yeah but some places catch them with cyanid.

Lol and how do you know online places dont use it either. River cat is right, the best place is a regular store unless your looking for something super rare and exotic thats impossible to care for.

I would first talk to your LFS. Most LFS only order certain fish for a number of reasons, preferring not to deviate from their model due to profitability reasons, but much of the time they can get a hold of many more species than they normally do. Is there a particular fish that you're looking for?

Just tropical fw fish nothing I can't get a store to order. And I wasn't saying all LFS use cyanide I was just asking for recommendations on online sources and then asking how the recommended sources acquired their fish.

I also need some MTS if anyone has some I can get or knows where I can buy some

I have tons of MTS, but cost of shipping and heat pack might not be worth it for you.

Some LFS's will give them to you. I like them personally, but some consider them to be pests. Anyway, you might try calling around or something.

I already have been. One keeps two assassin snails in every tanks.

I agree with the original poster that Pet stores have a pretty sad selection of fish nowadays. My advice is to try to find a smaller chain of pet stores that have access to ordering fish from trusted breeders. They also know way more about fish than big chain stores. I have found most of the time I walk in a big chain store I know more about fish than the employees.

Thanks the lady at petsmart said she just threw out tons of them and I still managed to gather 10.

Back
Top Bottom