Buying from breeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My parameters in my tank are all good and I maintain the tank well yet I keep losing fish. I've had another thread where people tried to trouble shoot for me and we didn't come up with anything - I'm pretty confident I'm not doing anything wrong.

So......I'm thinking maybe it's just that I buy from big box stores and I know their stock is not the greatest. Do you think I'd have better luck buying from breeders? It's obviously a lot more expensive......but do you guys/gals find the fish last pretty well? A noticeable difference from big box stores?

Curious for your thoughts......

As far as more exotic specimens I find breeders and local stores to be better than big box. The fish are treated better and often given a better diet so they are healthier overall when you bring them home.

A breeder is usually the best you can get when wanting new fish.

Caleb

Some of the issues may be the fish themselves however, just because the fish comes from a box store does not mean it's a bad fish. Do you quarantine these fish from the Box stores? This is a key reason why many lose fish from them. While the fish may appear healthy, it may be harboring diseases that are present in other sections of the store's system. Using the QT time to medicate or just observe might increase your survival rates.
As for buying from breeders, you may get better selection of types but if the issue is the way you are handling the fish once you get them, it wouldn't matter where they come from. I would be QTing fish from anyone.

Hope this helps (y)

Hi Sally,
You can't beat having a small quarantine tank set up for your new arrivals. 4-6 weeks being pampered and well fed, with good clean water will toughen then up for your main tank.
Also, of course, if they do get ill, you already have them in the right place to treat them without having to treat the whole display tank.
I know a QT is a big step for someone with only one main tank but it's worth it in the end. I talk from bitter experience of adding fish from the LFS straight into my main display tank and a disease wiped out most of my stock. I keep a few fish in the QT when not needed for quarantining just to keep the tank interesting and the tank cycled. They go into the main when the new stock need the QT.
Since quarantining new fish I have not had to medicate the main tank in 2 years. Strangely enough I haven't had to medicate the QT either. Maybe the fish suffer less stress having a quiet well maintained half way house for a few weeks, they certainly fatten up a bit as some LFS shop fish can be a bit skinny.
After all that, I would still get stock from a breeder if available. More expensive so more important to use a QT.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys I appreciate the thought. I do have a second tank which was my QT but then I had to segregate some bully fish and so now I don't have that. That said, the fish I am referring to which have died weren't all new. Many of them I'll have them for six months or more and then they'll die. Also, someone mentioned being pampered/well fed/ clean water etc.....in QT. I hear you but they get that in my main tank too! I'm very good at doing the maintenance work on the tank and keep it clean with 50 PC weekly.

Anyways, I appreciate the thoughts and I think I'll give it a go with a breeder and just see what happens.

Thanks guys I appreciate the thought. I do have a second tank which was my QT but then I had to segregate some bully fish and so now I don't have that. That said, the fish I am referring to which have died weren't all new. Many of them I'll have them for six months or more and then they'll die. Also, someone mentioned being pampered/well fed/ clean water etc.....in QT. I hear you but they get that in my main tank too! I'm very good at doing the maintenance work on the tank and keep it clean with 50 PC weekly.

Anyways, I appreciate the thoughts and I think I'll give it a go with a breeder and just see what happens.

This now is a whole other story. For that amount of time, there could be a lot of issues. Foods/ diet: You may be feeding the fish an inferior type of food which will shorten the fish's lives. Age: Since you don;t know the age of the fish you are getting, you may just be getting older fish and this is their natural time. It just so happens that it's happening to multiple(?) fish at the same time. Maintenance: Your water quality may not be as good as you think and this is is showing up at that later time. Fish could be weakened from age or tank mate stress and it shows up at this time.
I'm not saying that these are the cause in your case, ( need a lot more info for that) but these are the most common causes of deaths after living in the tank for some time. Just stuff for you to think about (y)

Andy and ScotJ offer very good info.
Can't add much more except being a breeder I of course think you would/will get better fish from "respected" breeders.
What fish have you have trouble with and what are your source water parameters?
Sure would like to help you out with this issue as I am a breeder(like Andy) who wants little more then improve the fish quality you all are getting.
No big choice IMO if I wanted quality angel fish...
I would demand they come from Andy!

Back
Top Bottom