buying guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I want to buy guppies for a tank...I'm kinda leaning away towards the common mixture..or at least gave all one kind...picky I guess..I use to breed guppies along with my grandmother we would buy the eel expensive kind...I can't think of the one website we got them from and my grandmother has recently passed...the reason I've found my way back to fish...

So anyone have any good sites to recommend? Even if they aren't the real pure bred expensive kind

Aquabid will have a good showing of show guppies and breeder strains. You might also want to look up endler's livebearers too. They're a more wild type and have amazing colors.

im not familiar with most fish-selling websites (I hate paying for shipping for fish that might not make it from NY to SoCal) but if you go to a local petsmart, you might want to get either the tequila sunrise guppy (very pretty orange/yellow combo) or the cobra endlers guppy (pattern is amazing)

im not familiar with most fish-selling websites (I hate paying for shipping for fish that might not make it from NY to SoCal) but if you go to a local petsmart, you might want to get either the tequila sunrise guppy (very pretty orange/yellow combo) or the cobra endlers guppy (pattern is amazing)

Fish shipping isn't that risky most the time. I had a pair of gold german rams and a tiny 1" BN pleco shipped to me via priority mail and they arrived in fine condition. Just check your weather.

zfarrias1 said:

I wanted to try and avoid pets mart I've had more issues with the fish I got there..and they really know nothing..

I use to have them shipped from California..I'm in Delaware on the east coast...I bought quite a few and I've never had any die during shipping

zfarrias1 said:
really? i thought all the shaking and rattling and bla bla bla would traumatize the fish. But still, sometimes the shipping costs are more than the actual fish

Your right shipping sucks big time. .it just depends on how much your getting..just gotta get more then one fish..I bought from a fish store online I didn't have anything live but their shipping was set for that..I only wanted one item..but cause of the high shipping I searched for more stuff..which in the end was a huge waste of money and everything I bought LOL

Crepe said:
Aquabid will have a good showing of show guppies and breeder strains. You might also want to look up endler's livebearers too. They're a more wild type and have amazing colors.

I noticed a site calling them live bearers and was like huh?...their guppies LOL...a few others I checked wasn't impressed or they didn't make it clear if they were a pair or not..and others were sold out of males or females..which surprises me most don't want females

I haven't checked out aqua bid yet I've used them before too. .I should have mentioned that prior sorry..I figured with so many fishy obsessed folks there's sites others love and use

Shipping can be expensive unless you get a bunch of stuff to make it worth your while. Or if they are expensive.

If a person sends you fish at actual shipping costs it's not too bad, usually under $10 for small fish like guppies.

Guppies are classified as livebearers along with mollies, platies, and swordtails, and some other less common species, since they all give live birth to their young rather than laying eggs.

Aquabid is a pretty good place, I got most of my different guppy strains from different sources, but aquabid was one of them. I am breeding a lot of different types but they won't be ready for a few months.

Sounds dumb but craigslist actually... Just search fish some ppl just have to many... or I've actually found cichlid breeders on there. Idk it's worth a try

So I want to buy guppies for a tank...I'm kinda leaning away towards the common mixture..or at least gave all one kind...picky I guess..I use to breed guppies along with my grandmother we would buy the eel expensive kind...I can't think of the one website we got them from and my grandmother has recently passed...the reason I've found my way back to fish...

So anyone have any good sites to recommend? Even if they aren't the real pure bred expensive kind

I've only used one online store for buying livestock and they where great. Fast delivery, guaranteed 14 day live. They will either send you new stock or return your money, which ever you prefer.
I looked at there stock and right now they have 12 absolutely gorgeous Fancy Guppies at good prices.
Oh ya their name is www.liveaquaria.com . I don't have any Guppies they wouldn't last a day in my tanks but if I were to get them it would be out of the 12 different types I saw there. OMG!!! Just beautiful, IMO. Any one of them would make for an amazing Guppy tank.
Please post pictures when you've decided what your going to do.

PS. Many condolences to you for your Grandma. They are very special people in our lives.

WendiDell said:
I've only used one online store for buying livestock and they where great. Fast delivery, guaranteed 14 day live. They will either send you new stock or return your money, which ever you prefer.
I looked at there stock and right now they have 12 absolutely gorgeous Fancy Guppies at good prices.
Oh ya their name is www.liveaquaria.com . I don't have any Guppies they wouldn't last a day in my tanks but if I were to get them it would be out of the 12 different types I saw there. OMG!!! Just beautiful, IMO. Any one of them would make for an amazing Guppy tank.
Please post pictures when you've decided what your going to do.

PS. Many condolences to you for your Grandma. They are very special people in our lives.

I totally forgot that site..thanks for the reminder!..and thank you for your condolences...she meant a lot to me

I totally forgot that site..thanks for the reminder!..and thank you for your condolences...she meant a lot to me

I really like liveaquaria they don't make it difficult if one of their fish dies and boom you have another fish or your money back, no hassles.
My grandma was my favorite person, I still miss her every day but now I've reached the point that I just have a ton of great memories of us.
I may sound nuts but we still talk all the time.

I ordered my first batch of guppies a while back from a lady on ebay named trinspets.. She's awesome =) And then I got fish at petco... now I'm fighting with every parasite possible i think in this tank... I'd def buy online rather than at a pet store

I don't know what the policy is on giving links, so I'll tell you where I got a Trio of the most beautiful Purple Moscows from. This person is a professional breeder and they are pure strains. He has many strains to choose from and keep in mind, you cannot mix guppies of different strains in a tank unless you want what petsmart sells you :)

To give you an idea, the Trio might be about $50 and shipping about $35. I checked the package when I got it, and the shipping was 34.70, so no ripping off here. They each came in a very small bag, three total, in a mini-Styrofoam container. I got them three weeks ago (one male, two females) and had my first children last night from one of them!

Search on Google luke's roebucks guppies and you'll find the site. I do not know if I can list names, but honestly, I looked for a month to find a reputable show breeder who has won many awards and it appears, has never lost a fish in transport. I in no way am advertising or endorsing, I just will buy again when I start a new tank and new strain. If the name I mentioned is blocked, pm me and I'll send you the link.

If you want beautiful pure strain guppies, buy from a breeder who has won awards. Hope this helps and good luck. Grannie would be proud of you for sure.

I don't know what the policy is on giving links, so I'll tell you where I got a Trio of the most beautiful Purple Moscows from. This person is a professional breeder and they are pure strains. He has many strains to choose from and keep in mind, you cannot mix guppies of different strains in a tank unless you want what petsmart sells you :)

To give you an idea, the Trio might be about $50 and shipping about $35. I checked the package when I got it, and the shipping was 34.70, so no ripping off here. They each came in a very small bag, three total, in a mini-Styrofoam container. I got them three weeks ago (one male, two females) and had my first children last night from one of them!

Search on Google luke's roebucks guppies and you'll find the site. I do not know if I can list names, but honestly, I looked for a month to find a reputable show breeder who has won many awards and it appears, has never lost a fish in transport. I in no way am advertising or endorsing, I just will buy again when I start a new tank and new strain. If the name I mentioned is blocked, pm me and I'll send you the link.

If you want beautiful pure strain guppies, buy from a breeder who has won awards. Hope this helps and good luck. Grannie would be proud of you for sure.

thank you ..i will look them up...sounds about right for what i've looked up and some that i use to get a few years back..and how its shipped..

Liveaquaria is easy to work with but they also charge alot. The cost of overnight shipping +handling+retail prices really makes most species not worth purchasing through them, imo.

Their S&H isn't cheap your right but the quality of their stock and their 14 day live guarantee is worth a little extra.
When it comes to buying my livestock I'd rather pay more for healthy fish. I could get it really cheap fish at walmart or a few other places. But it just isn't worth the mortality rate.
I'm fortunate that I'm so well known at a not so LFS that they will order what ever I want with their regular weekly order and they don't charge me for the S&H. It's another benefit of going to a Mom & Pop FS, the special service.

Their S&H isn't cheap your right but the quality of their stock and their 14 day live guarantee is worth a little extra.
When it comes to buying my livestock I'd rather pay more for healthy fish. I could get it really cheap fish at walmart or a few other places. But it just isn't worth the mortality rate.
I'm fortunate that I'm so well known at a not so LFS that they will order what ever I want with their regular weekly order and they don't charge me for the S&H. It's another benefit of going to a Mom & Pop FS, the special service.

actually my uncle and aunt own a fish store..i'm just afraid to go there and request something cause of a situation over my fish tank from my cousin...she caused a fight about it..and then started bringing up something else..that has to do with my aunt..that had nothing to do with me or our conversation together..it got ugly..and i have no idea if the aunt knows..cause i was made to look bad...so i'm just staying away..even though i technically have proof to back myself up...i think that was the shortest version i've ever given..

i'm not sure why i was freaked out over 60 dollars of fish plus shipping..i just spent 231 bucks on my mom for mothers day...lol and i'm unemployed..yikes

I would say it's more than a little extra. There are plenty of other online vendors who have high quality stock as well. One that comes to mind is sev mama and hn1's shop =]

Walmart shouldn't even be considered as a place to get fish, they are beyond terrible.

With most of the large online retailers, they get their fish all from basically the same fish farms, unless they are importing them. The smaller ones tend to get more local stock as well as stock from other hobbyist/small time breeders. This generally means better stock overall.

I don't really have anything against liveaquaria in particular, i really wish I could sell my EBRs for 35 dollars each, believe me, lol. I just have a good bit of experience in online fish sales/shipping so I know there are some cheaper and better alternatives. Also, that site among other big named ones make it seem like online fish buying has to be a large purchase, to justify the shipping price and whatnot. This really isn't true, though. Most fish do fine in 2-day priority at less than half the cost. It literally costs me less than $10 in shipping and materials for most small fish/invert packages. Plants can go through first class so I can send them even cheaper, usually not costing more than $3.

Back
Top Bottom