Buying Piranhas in the Southeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think they are tankbusters in the traditional sense, as in fish that will outgrow your typical home aquarium, but many localities have outlawed them in the pet trade, perhaps for fear they will be released into the wild and create problems in local waters. Doubt that is an issue in Ontario but it is likely the reason for the scarcity in Florida.

I have never seen a pirahna at my LFSs. It's the pacus that are tankbusters, not pirahnas.

Pirannahs are illegal in NY state without a permit. They're probably illegal no matter what in the Southeast US as Tankgirl said.

Actually, I've read that they aren't very interesting fish to keep (except at feeding time). If you want something vicious, aggressive, and exceptionally colorful, get a jewel cichlid (one will be fine in a 15 gal or larger). If you have a 55 gal tank, you can get a green terror or a Jack Dempsey. - two other colorful fish with attitudes.

Even better, why not keep some natives? Try a few bluegills for a while.

I disagree that piranhas are boring.I think certain species are the most colorful of all tropical fishes(Pygo Ternetzi or gold piranha) and when shoaled are active an interesting to watch. In New York State under 5 inches used to be legal to own without permits. All sizes are now illegal. You can purchase from Aquscapeonline.com We have many in our LFS. Please as a rule, piranhas need a minimum of 40 gallons per fish. Different species require different minimum quantities for shoaling. This is to control aggressiveness and lessen stress. Pygocentrus Notatus(Caribe) should be 4. Pygo Natteri should be 3. Some species need to be alone such as SpilopleuraCF and Serrasalmus rhombus(white piranha). Before making any purchase obtain enough info.There is much to know.Come over to PiranhaFury.com to learn from the owners.

Toirtis said:
QTOFFER said:
Pirannahs are illegal in NY state without a permit. They're probably illegal no matter what in the Southeast US as Tankgirl said.

A bit old, but I will bet none of the 'illegal' listed states have changed at all:

http://www.kencofish.com/states.htm

Didn't check all listed, but Florida definitely still prohibits piranhas.

This from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission: http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/prohibited.html#piranha

From Florida statutes:

"68A-23.008 Introduction of Non-Native Aquatic Species in the Waters of the State; Provisions for Sale and Inspection of Fish for Bait or Propagation Purpose; Diseased Fish.
[…]
… (3) Prohibited non-native aquatic species:
(a) No person shall import, sell, possess or transport in state any of the following live aquatic species or hybrids thereof:
[…]
…7. Piranhas and pirambebas (subfamily Serrasalminae, all species)."

piranha are cool fish to keep but some people dont keep them in schools and that is why they dont get the full experience of piranha. they are an enjoyable tank inhabitant. just keep them fed so they dont act up and turn on each other. also each speices has a different level of "savagery". some are killers but some are just vicious creatures and a pleasure to watch.lol

i do have a connect with most species available just get at me if you want some! 0X

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I truly appreciate it.

I like Piranhas, but not enough to break the law for them. I'm going to continue my search for some aggressive, interesting fish.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom