Buying Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scalesojustice

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm going to need to add more rocks to my tank fairly soon. although i picked mine up at a lake, going to the lake is out of season these days, so i was wonder where is the best place to buy some cheap, aquarium safe rock.

doesn't home depot or lowes sell rock or patio rock?

TIA

I got mine as two big peices of slate from a local garden center and took a hammer to them. I think it cosy me 7.00 if I remember correctly.

i'm also not to rock savy, what is safe for aquariums? slate sounds good to me.

scalesojustice said:
i'm also not to rock savy, what is safe for aquariums? slate sounds good to me.
slate is good most igneous and metamorphic rocks are safe. stay aways from and carbonates (limestone, dolomite, calcite, marble) and anything metal ores...

if you see something you like, if you can post a picture and i should be able to ID it for you and tell you if it is safe. :D

Home Depot sells what they call Mexican Beach Stones. They're dark gray and round. I have them in my tank and they look great. I showed my friend and she said "You stole those expensive stones from somewhere?" I guess they're rocks people like to use to layout pathways in backyards sometimes.

theotheragentm said:
Home Depot sells what they call Mexican Beach Stones. They're dark gray and round. I have them in my tank and they look great. I showed my friend and she said "You stole those expensive stones from somewhere?" I guess they're rocks people like to use to layout pathways in backyards sometimes.

I got one of these a while back. I really like the look, and I plan on getting more in the near future.

theotheragentm said:

got some pictures to share?

JDogg said:
slate is good most igneous and metamorphic rocks are safe. stay aways from and carbonates (limestone, dolomite, calcite, marble) and anything metal ores.

I wouldn't say that is ALWAYS true. Those types of rock may be a welcome addition to an African cichlid tank.

What kind of fish do you have in the tank that you would like to have more rocks?

swanandmokashi said:
got some pictures to share?

I have some on my camera, but unfortunately my logic board and hard drive took a dive a couple weeks ago. I'm waiting to get my computer back. I'm just leaving pictures on the camera until then.

You've got some good suggestions. I myself use limestone from the local riverbanks, but since my water is pretty much liquid limestone it doesn't make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom