Calcium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is calcium safe to add for fresh water tank. My snail needs some, but don't want fish to suffer.

Add in a piece of cuttlebone like they sell of birds at pet stores. Your fish will be fine and the snails can munch on it when they need to.

Bbush said:
Is calcium safe to add for fresh water tank. My snail needs some, but don't want fish to suffer.

Feed blanched kale & spinach too, it's made a big improvement on my snail's shells :)

Bbush said:
So no on the calcium?

Sorry, put cuttlebone in too all my snails munch on it & it won't harm your fish. I,ve even caught my bn eating it! :)

Bbush said:
So no on the calcium?

Todays chemistry lesson: Calcium in its pure form is a very soft metal that reacts with water by burning. Calcium, as we and other living things need it is, therefore, not in it's pure form. Cuttlebone and the veggies mentioned above contain calcium as a compound, like calcium carbonate, which is bio available.

Ok, let me rephrase. I bought a bottle of calcium booster by instant ocean. Is this safe to add to my fresh water tank?

Bbush said:
Ok, let me rephrase. I bought a bottle of calcium booster by instant ocean. Is this safe to add to my fresh water tank?

In not sure. I do know it's not the best way to get calcium to your snails as its meant to give marine animals the right water parameters.

I use Kent Marine Calcium for my snails, have for a long long time. Never had a problem and always had snails with nice shells.

I just dosed the tank w 5ml. I will use it sparingly and start looking for cuttlebone. Thanks 4 tips!

brennae said:
I use Kent Marine Calcium for my snails, have for a long long time. Never had a problem and always had snails with nice shells.

Do u just follow the same directions on bottle? I put 5 ml. In my 56 gallon. Should I repeat weekly? Will I need to start testing for calcium?

Back
Top Bottom