California power outtage is going to kill my brand new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VaranusPanoptes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everything I worked for is on the line and I just got my fish two days ago (15 cichlids 3 species mbuna). Their lives are in PG&E's hands now. What a shame!

I apologize if any of this advice seems obvious, but the first thing is to stop feeding. You may be able to purchase a battery powered air pump at a local fish store. If you have a gas water heater or can get water to the desired temperature, you can still do water changes. I would do 50% changes daily while the power was out.

Good advice from all . I will add that if the temp won't drop below 68-70 degrees you should be ok . The temp will drop slowly so the fish shouldn't mind , just when the power comes back on raise the temp slowly over a day or so and they won't mind that either . A generator would be the best bet and if PG&E is going to keep this up a generator will get used more than once .

I borrowed a battery back up device and ran my sponge filters but could not run my hob. As for daily water changes, I am on well water and couldn't even flush my toilet as I had to store water in the tub to flush the toilet. I live in an apartment and don't know if I could run a generator legally. Thank you all for the advice! :)

I would hate to say drop some money into the project, but you could go to Harbor Freight, or another store like that and pick up a solar panel back up type panel to run a mini-pond "fountain" Then remove the fish from the tank, put them in a bucket or a clean plastic tub to make the space smaller. Wrap it with space blankets/ bubble wrap. (A cooler might work if it is clean). Just put the solar panel in your window. That will account for at least 8 hours of aeration. Surface agitation is what you need to oxygenate the water, and water changes.

Back
Top Bottom