calling all betta experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, this is day two of my Betta in the 2.5 gallon, he is not taking food yet. He swims up and checks it out, but wont eat. Tried flakes and pellets... Any suggestions? I have never had a fish do this before. Thanks.

I have to admit, he was not the best looking specimen health wise, but I felt like he needed a good home the most out of all the other dixie-cup imprisoned little dudes... So I guess if he bites the dust it won't surprise me. I mean, he is swimming around alot... Not lethargic by any means. No apparent fungus or sickness other than a skinny little body. I am pulling for him.

I would steer clear of the flakes, never had a Betta go for them.
The pellets should be fine and some frozen blood worms.

If he's new to the tank, just give it a while to settle down and he should be fine.

I have two bettas, and have had 5 over the past year - they all ate flakes once they realized it was food. However, its best to soak them (or any dry food,including betta pellets) a little first. I soak the flakes for a few seconds, the betta bite pellets for 2 -3 minutes. This will help avoid bloat.
One of my bettas (rest in peace) was named Mr. Fussy - it took him a whole week before he would eat. Just keep offering the food and removing what he doesn't eat so the tank doesn't become polluted. Sometimes it just takes longer for them to want to eat.
Thawed frozen bloodworms are a good idea - but once he gets a taste of those he may refuse the other stuff, so I'd wait until he's eating his regular food before offering them.
You can also try some small pieces of frozen green peas. Defrost them in the microwave for a minute or two, remove the shell and cut the meat into small pellet sized pieces. I never thought a betta would eat a pea but OH BOY do they love 'em !

My betta eats crushed flake and NLS small fish pellets like nobody's business, but he was picky at first. Give your betta some time and he will figure it out eventually. Mine refused flake at first too but now he goes crazy for it. If yours doesn't eat in a couple more days then I'd start to worry, and at that point I would try the frozen bloodworms. It seems no fish can resist them LOL!

His mouth seems pretty small, the bloodworms I always have gotten are pretty big. He is still kinda juvenile. I will try them ASAP though. I hope he makes it, cause his coloration is REALLY cool, he's all yellow, with a little powder blue, navy blue/violet at the base of his dorsal fin. I have never had a yellow betta, nor even seen one in the LFS that I can remember, and I would love for him to grow big and color up nicely. I also am hoping to plant this little tank and see what happens.

I'd love to see a photo of him - he sounds really pretty. I've only heard about yellow bettas but have never gotten to see one myself - they sell too fast !

Congrats on your new betta! Good advice from everyone - I just want to add that one of my bettas didn't eat for a whole week when he was new! Hopefully yours will eat before then! They do seem to take awhile to get accustomed to their new surroundings before they feel like eating. Like Joann said, it's important to soak dry or freeze-dried food before feeding. Dry food will absorb water in the stomach and expand - soaking prevents that. I cut bloodworms if they are too long. I soak them in a plastic cup and cut through them with a plastic spoon, then use the spoon to drop them into the tank.

sicklid, i just saw the pic of your betta. where did you get him? that's the coolest beta i've ever seen. looks like i have something to hunt for this weekend!

Wow - I just found a picture of him in your gallery too. He's going to be one gorgeous guy when he perks up a little more (not that he doesn't look nice now).

Good luck with him. My two bettas are such pigs that they had no trouble eating on the first day I had them. Do you have any dried blood worms you could offer him? The reason I ask is that it seems like my bettas really like to eat food that's still floating on the water surface and most other foods will sink more quickly than the freeze dried blood worms. It might give him some extra time to consider eating before the food sinks to the bottom.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the little guy does. He's lucky you found him!

I've only had two betta fish (out of VERY many) that have ever chosen to eat flakes over anythign else. Mine usually like bloodworms, peas, corn, and sometimes pelleted food that I have for my fish and frog that eat on the bottom...

Isn't he cool? I got him at the local Petsmart for $3.50. I just happened to go there and saw him, he is the only yellow one I have ever seen in a LFS. Today I got his sponge filter going, I picked up a small chunk of driftwood, a small Java Fern and a pretty nice little Crypt Wendetii. He is up and about now, checking it all out...

I gotta tell ya, he has gotten quite the reaction from all of you! It's got me thinking I should maybe breed him, shooting for that coloration.

Well he IS gorgeous so if you do breed him let me know , since we live so close to each other you know I'd be there for a baby or two or three - HEY - maybe that's how I'll get my females !

I will look into it... I have never tried breeding Bettas. I have no idea how to do it. It would probably just result in a bunch of multi-colored fry, and the choice of females must be correct to even try it, then I would have to breed them back to the original, and yada yada yada... But I am willing to try, so if anyone has had any success, and can give pointers, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom