calling all opaline gourami owners!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering one for my 29 gallon planted, as the two baby Angels I had didn't make it and I have heard angels can get rough with the plants as they grow up, I was thinking of trying something different. The only gouramis I ever had in the past were dwarf and they never lasted long.
Current tank stock are 8 neon tetras, 2 false julli corys (need to get a few more), 4 otos, 1 bolivian ram, 1 bristlenose pleco.

So tell me about opaline gouramis, what is their activity like, are they interesting? sociable? Do they do anything cute or exciting?
I would appreciate anyone who can give me as much info on Opaline gouramis as you can so I can decide if it will be a good choice for us. Tempermant, activities, etc.

I am also open to any other suggestions for "big" fish that would fair well in my current setup.:cool: my husband wants a "big" fish but won't let me set up the 55, so what if we would have to throw out the couch or kitchen table to make space ? Lol.

Thanks,
Ashley

Nobody wants to share any info on their gourami behaviour? I hate to buy a fish I've never kept before without any input from others experience.

Well I went ahead and bought two more angels. They are in QT with seeded filter at the moment. They are medium size about the size of a half dollar, the other ones I had were about the size of a quarter. The gouramis were kind of listless just laying there and not doing much of anything. The angels swam up to the top when the lid was opened, and I just couldn't resist.

Just for the record, I would just throw away the kitchen table. You can always eat on tv trays while sitting on the couch watching your fish in the 55g. ;)
Anyway, glad to hear you found some larger angels, I hope they do better than your last ones. Opalines seem to be healthier in general than the dg, but it was a good idea to not buy the listless looking ones. :)

I have a oplaine. When I first got it, it didnt have much color at all. Didnt seem to great but was only $4. So I got it. It developed great colors, dark blue and platinum marbaling. He/she is queit fiesty, one of the smaller fish in the tank (uaru, angel, severum, other full grown gouramis) and it will chase them around.

Yound could get a few gourami. I had a 29g and had 1 each of Gold, Moonlight, Platinum, Blue, and a couple dwarf. You could get other dwarf cichlids too. Keyhole, Kribs, ect. Maybe some molly or platty.

I have had something similar to an opaline, just a different color (gold gourami).

IME this fish was docile. I kept it with two dwarf gouramis and it didn't do anything to it. It was also the biggest fish in the tank at the time, and didn't hurt anyone. Kept in five originally before I realized (along with many other things) that it's too small to a thirty gallon long. If you raise them up with the fish you want when young, they are a lot nicer. JME.

absolutangel04 said:
Just for the record, I would just throw away the kitchen table. You can always eat on tv trays while sitting on the couch watching your fish in the 55g. ;)
Anyway, glad to hear you found some larger angels, I hope they do better than your last ones. Opalines seem to be healthier in general than the dg, but it was a good idea to not buy the listless looking ones. :)

Hmmm, we mostly eat on the couch anyway,lol

bruinsbro1997 said:
I have had something similar to an opaline, just a different color (gold gourami).

IME this fish was docile. I kept it with two dwarf gouramis and it didn't do anything to it. It was also the biggest fish in the tank at the time, and didn't hurt anyone. Kept in five originally before I realized (along with many other things) that it's too small to a thirty gallon long. If you raise them up with the fish you want when young, they are a lot nicer. JME.

Thanks for your input on this species, and everyone else of course. If these two angels don't work out I will def give the opalines a try.

Back
Top Bottom