calling all shrimp people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
My LFS has cherry red shrimp...first time I've actually seen them and they're cute!

I've have two questions to forestall my impulse buying urge... Do they really add to the bioload? (Seeing as my corys keep spawning and having one sneak through my egg/fry eaters...my bioload's been going up without any participation on my part).

And what can't be kept with them? (I have angels and danios--would they eat the shrimp?)

Actually, third questions--if I can get them--how many? They're kind of expensive for their size etc... :) Thanks!

Yes, they will add to your bioload. They are small, so I think the addition is minimal, but if your waste levels are rising, you might want to sort that out first. The shrimp my get harassed by the Angels, and it is possible for them to get eaten after they molt.

I keep Ghost Shrimp, and while alive, they don't seem to have any problems. My biggest fish is a 4" Gourami, and even they leave my shrimp alone. I did see one fish die though, and then the fish had a field day. So while they are edible, why alive and with their shells unmolted, they should be okay.

Their bioload is very small. Breeders keep hundreds in 10 and 20 gallon tanks no problem. Like anything else just monitor your nitrate and if it gets unmanagable you are overstocked.

Angels will eat your shrimp, the might not actively hunt for them but they will eat some. If you are decently planted then there will be enough hiding spots and you will have survivors and plenty of babies. I used to have a ton of them in one tank and after months, one day my Yoyo loaches discovered that the shrimp were very tasty. I went from 50+ to 2 within days. My GBR sometimes tried to get them too, and since they are cichlids just like angels expect the same thing.

To start a colony you should get at least 10. As far as being expensive you shouldn't pay more than $2 apiece locally because you can get great ones shipped to you for half that if you check the classifieds here.

Lucky you, my LFS only has stupid ol ghost shrimp, nothing wrong with them, but I want something like cherry red shrimp, I really don't wanna have to order any, I wish they would get some!!!

Argblarg said:
Their bioload is very small. Breeders keep hundreds in 10 and 20 gallon tanks no problem.

i dunno about that, seems kinda inhumane, but shrimp in general dont really dent the bio-loads, they do, given their eggs have appropriate hiding places, multiply rapidly. glitch from this site had dozens hatch in his canister

Michael said:
I have a 10 gallon tank with just Cherry Shrimp. They are so small I would not keep them with any fish.

I agree. I also have a 10gal with cherry shrimp. I tried to keep them in several tanks with fish before I setup a dedicated tank for them, but lost most of them. A dedicated tank is the best way to keep them IMHO.

It's much cheaper to buy cherry shrimp from folks selling them on the forums, even w/shipping. The angel will most likely eat the shrimp, and even the danio's will pick off babies. Set up a 10 gallon tank, throw in some java moss and maybe a java fern or two, and then add some shrimp after it's cycled. You won't regret it later....

Thanks all--my gut impression was that they'd probably just turn into expensive snacks! I'd be less upset if the breeding was kept under control, but I don't see much point in buying them just to have them eaten.

I think it's touch and go with shrimp in a community tank, i have 2 Amano's in my 25 gal and there fine at the moment because there the only things in there. I am planning to add a pair of Bolivian Rams in the future and i have heard mixed results when these are put together. I dont like the idea of the Bolivians potentially killing them but i plan to plant heavily and hopefully the Amano's will be fine.

I just found a pregnant shrimp in my 55. I cant tell you how many months its been since I put some ghost shrimp in there. I thought they were all gone. and there are two medium gouramis an angel and 3 giant danios. of course now I cant find the panda cory. there must be some game that fish play where they have a hiding spot and swap out.

Back
Top Bottom