Calling in Arowana keepers. Please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made some impulse buying before and regret later. This time I wanted to know everything before going for it.

I never owned an arowana fish before but its been my dream to house them. Now, I can make a bigger tank. Very big as suggested like 500 litres of water. I have space and can keep the water temperature ok. My water Ph is also suitable as they prefer. But I have few questions:

1) Is Arowana a hardy fish? I read its an expert level fish. Is it because the size of the tank or the fish is too difficult to keep? Like for example discus is very sensitive and even get very scared if someone moves to tank suddenly.

2) Is it ok to keep two arowanas in a tank if the tank is large enough? Or if the two will fight?

3) Is it ok to provide some tank mates like large sized Oscars or parrot fish so that the arowana can feel safe and tank will have some variety as well or is it advisable to keep the fish alone without any other fish? Some people wrote their parrot fish harass arowana, how true is that.

4) I don't like bare bottom tanks. I can put fine gravels or shall I put like sea sand with minimal rock scaping which don't have sharp edges. Which is more advisable. Gravel or sand?

Please also tell me any other info I need to know. I may get a silver or asian arowana depends on the availability and will buy a decent size one and not small. Will put a canister filter for filtration and a UV sterilzer and a decent heater and thermometer. I have money saved for this venture but I am not doing things like I did in past and then regret it.

Please reply. Thanks.

They need quite a bit of room. I'm thinking 300 gallons and 8 feet long as a minimum. They're a 3-4 foot fish.

Arowana require an enormous tank. The noted tank you intend to use would do for a baby Arowana, but would be a very short term situation. As King Fisher noted an eight foot tank & 300 plus gallons. A specialized lock down lid is also required. Arowana are jumpers.
There are several Arowana keepers on the MFK forum that likely can help you more than I can.

They need quite a bit of room. I'm thinking 300 gallons and 8 feet long as a minimum. They're a 3-4 foot fish.
Thanks. I am reading more. I can actually go for a 300 gallon. Just need to plan everything before investing in this project
Arowana require an enormous tank. The noted tank you intend to use would do for a baby Arowana, but would be a very short term situation. As King Fisher noted an eight foot tank & 300 plus gallons. A specialized lock down lid is also required. Arowana are jumpers.
There are several Arowana keepers on the MFK forum that likely can help you more than I can.
Thanks dear. What is the full form of MFK forum?

Its Monster Fish Keepers. The forum specializes in extra large & aggressive fish species.

Some Arowanas are endangered and banned from importation into the U.S. Not a good idea to own one here or anywhere. And 500 liters is way too small for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom