can a Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Can a Pleco go in an outdoor fish pond in Florida? Are they strictly warm water or can they be in cooler water with Goldfish??? I am in no way putting Bob outside in a fish pond...but my aunt has one in her goldfish pond and hes doing pretty good. Just wondering how long he will last though...

My stepmom has had her pleco in with her goldies for 8 years. He is a bit smaller than if he were in warm water I think, he's 8". He's thriving though.

Zagz.. what temperature is the water in your mom's goldie tank?

Racoons will be a problem before temps... at least, thats the case here in N. florida. Water in my big pond (5 acres) gets down into the high 50s during the winter...

id10t said:
Racoons will be a problem before temps... at least, thats the case here in N. florida. Water in my big pond (5 acres) gets down into the high 50s during the winter...

In her pond she has about 4 large goldfish that have lived there for quite a while. Sometimes i see her cats out there batting at the water but so far none have gone missing and she's had the pond for about 2 years. ( i think) The goldfish seem to do find when it gets cold out.. .even during the occassional freeze! Im wondering if a pleco would be able to survive if it froze out?

AshleyNicole said:
In her pond she has about 4 large goldfish that have lived there for quite a while. Sometimes i see her cats out there batting at the water but so far none have gone missing and she's had the pond for about 2 years. ( i think) The goldfish seem to do find when it gets cold out.. .even during the occassional freeze! Im wondering if a pleco would be able to survive if it froze out?

No. The pleco would not last if it froze, or got cold. Wintering over a pond is no problem for the goldfish (heck, they LOVE the freezing water) but the pleco either needs to be brought indoors during the winter, or...something else done with it. 'Fraid it won't make it otherwise.

I know plenty of people who do this. Keeps their pond rather algae free.

thanks, i didn't know. She doesn't have an aquarium though... lol. poor pleco.

I don't pay that much attention. I think it froze one night already and it usually says its in the 50's in the morning on my way to work (about 6am). I think it usually warms up to the 70's - 80's during the day.

Tough to say, but I'm still going to guess the water gets too cold for the pleco. :)

Ponds here have been frozen over since about middle of November, hehe.

Good luck.

I'd say it would depend on where in Florida you are. I'm down in Lauderdale myself, and there are wild pleco's all over the place in our ponds here. I've seen 10-15" ones cruising around, and something around 2 foot long that hides really well.

There's a definate climate shift when you get north of West Palm Beach though. Down here the everglades seem to regulate the weather as much if not more than the oceans. At a guess I'd say if your around Cape Canaveral or north, your going to need a heater. Down to Jupiter it's chancey. South of that, no worries.

I would seriously doubt a pleco can withstand temps when the pond freezes over. I know that many koi can to some extent. But I like DT live in a climate where the ponds can usually be skated on by mid Nov.

freeze over? i don't think the pond would ever freez over. We may have 3-5 freezes for the entire winter, where it just might get down to 32 (sometimes in the 20's but rarely)

Wild Pleco's??? I doubt... more like people in FL who tossed out the pleco's when they got to big.... :lol: Unless your talking about catfish.

Back
Top Bottom