Can Anyone Help me ID my Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barakis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Guys

I know their are hundreds, but I am trying to find out what type he is (guessing its a he). i was told its a common plec, but im not so sure. its currently 6.5 inches (through the glass) but I have no history with it as i aquired it with the tank.

Attachments

• IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 149
good call, just checked PC and looks pretty close. one thing i do wonder, are the lighter patches of skin stress or normal?

also, since i am going to have to replace this, as it WILL soon outgrow my tank, will the smaller (e.g. bristlenose) produce less waste? i have big nitrate issues.

also, can anyone clarify this? i know some look quite similar. (sorry lol, really dont want to get rid unless i have to)

Barakis said:
good call, just checked PC and looks pretty close. one thing i do wonder, are the lighter patches of skin stress or normal?

also, since i am going to have to replace this, as it WILL soon outgrow my tank, will the smaller (e.g. bristlenose) produce less waste? i have big nitrate issues.

Normal, most have a pattern like that.

Yes, your plec is a poop machine. The BN will be better, but will still produce qlot of waste

Yes, your plec is a poop machine. The BN will be better, but will still produce qlot of waste

my aim is to be able to get more stock, i want guppys. will the drop in waste balance my tank enough to get more fish? (i have 11 neons 2 salt n pepper mollies and the pleco in a 65L tank)

Barakis said:
my aim is to be able to get more stock, i want guppys. will the drop in waste balance my tank enough to get more fish? (i have 11 neons 2 salt n pepper mollies and the pleco in a 65L tank)

Yes. But a 6" pleco in a 16 gallon just wont do. Youll need to get rid of him, let it all balence out, and maybe get 4-5 guppies

also, sorry for all the questions, could you sudgest any more plec (no more than like 7 inches) that dont produce buckets of waste, or is this just a pleco thing?

Barakis said:
also, sorry for all the questions, could you sudgest any more plec (no more than like 7 inches) that dont produce buckets of waste, or is this just a pleco thing?

Clown pleco, or pitbull plecos are your best option

Hi
My clown plecos HATE light and are very shy. However, I see them because we have LOTS of shade in the tank and they are adorable. I just wanted to let you know in case you would be disappointed. I have 4 of them.
My albino bristlenose is social and always doing something - very watchable - and definitely a very different presence in my tanks.
I haven't had pittbulls...

i'm not even sure about pleco full stop now because i'm being told i'm over stocked... I have a 65l tank with a 200l/h filter, 11 neons 2 salt/pepper molly and im getting 3 guppy, all i want is a small pleco i like them, but i dont wanna mess up my tank man.

although, i really like brislenose, do they produce masses of waste?

i kinda like the pitbull, but dont have space for a group of them, and the clown produce a lot of waste.

im nearly ready to go to my lfs and get sorted, really just want people to confirm my stocks first though :)

thanks guys

Barakis said:
i'm not even sure about pleco full stop now because i'm being told i'm over stocked... I have a 65l tank with a 200l/h filter, 11 neons 2 salt/pepper molly and im getting 3 guppy, all i want is a small pleco i like them, but i dont wanna mess up my tank man.

although, i really like brislenose, do they produce masses of waste?

i kinda like the pitbull, but dont have space for a group of them, and the clown produce a lot of waste.

im nearly ready to go to my lfs and get sorted, really just want people to confirm my stocks first though :)

thanks guys

This is my clown pleco, after 6 months he is only 2 inchs. Will get to 4 inchs. I think you would be best looking at a dwarf rather than your big guy. Although you must have driftwood with most specialty plecos like the clowns for example. Your mollies are going to get pretty big. But other than them, it is a decent stock list IMO.

Back
Top Bottom