can anyone ID this mystery snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey! I was saying how i've been killing off little snails in my 10 gallon, i finally caught one on film.

This will be the 5th snail i'll have disposed of in the last... week or so. I do have some hard to reach algae in my tank, but i want to know the plant eating characteristics of this snail.

Anyone have any idea's on it? how big do they get? Are ALL snails asexual? if i just keep ONE in my 44 gallon (when he gets big enough to fend off my clown) I'm a snail noob. :-D (as with almost everything, lol)

Here's the pic! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• snail_181.jpg
    snail_181.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 189
Oh, btw, this snail is only 4 mm wide. I think i see another one crawling about the rocks.

(i love my camera, it has an amazing macro... That was only at 3mp instead of 5 as well!) (cropped photo)

I don't know if i like them. They sound ok... and i have a fair bit of plants in there... but the sole fact that i didn't see them 2 weeks ago, and now have removed 5 (there's a 6th in there, but has since dissipeared) frightens me. If my clown loach was still in there, i'd be a little less worries... (contemplates putting him back in for a few days)

Opinions?

They hitchiked in with a plant. It happens all the time. Ever plant I have ever purchased has had hitchikers except for a few Anacharis.

Ummm...sudz, if these hitchhiked on the plants I sent you, they won't/don't eat any of my plants...as a matter of fact, they have helped my tank in many ways.

I don't think it was you! unless they wouldn't appear for over a month?
I'm pretty sure it came from my girlfriends 2.5 gallon. I know that the tank that the rasbora's came from had snails, and she did "re-use" the bags to bring them here... Now my question is: could a snail egg last one month in a wet bag?

The snails that came in on my new grass plant are a different shape and color, and that went into my 44 gallon. The only common element is fish-nets. otherwise, each tank has everything else on its own.

Meh, I'll just "deal" with them as i see them. (hope snail lovers don't yell at me)

Off to gravel vac my 44 gallon :( (its such a pain in the *ahem*)

um.. yeah JC??? I also got these from you back when you sent me the Java Fern :lol: But i like them, they haven't eaten any plants and my clown loaches have a nice snack when they spawn. since i transferred all the platns to my new 10 gallon i saw one in the 10 gallon and tossed it in the 55 and the clown loaches went crazy.. LOL. Im sure there will be more :twisted:

These don't get big do they??

LOL... the term "no good deed goes un-punished" comes to mind.

Even if they ARE from you JC, I'm still very thankful for the javamoss. Its fun to watch my dwarf gourami play in it (i think he looks for eggs or something!

Back
Top Bottom