Can anyone identify this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They may also be called Electric or Lemon Yellow Cichlids in your lfs. I have some in my tank - the only African's mixed in with four other South American Cichlids. They have done quite well and have not been at all hostile. Get at least two -they love to hang out together.

That is Labidochromis caeruleus- also known as yellow labs or electric yellow labs.

Yellow labs are one of the most peaceful African cichlids and don't need huge tanks. I'd suggest going with at least six fish; you can easily set them up in a 30 long with a fair bit of rock work.

Thanks for all your help, after looking into yellow labs i found this photo, which has a very similar dorsal fin that rises at the back and also has the 'brow' between the eyes but I don't think it's a lab.. for what it's worth, as far as i can remember, the yellow was slightly more orange than the photos that i've seen of the labs andthese fish also come in a 'blue' variety which is yellow with blue/grey speckles on it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kaydeejay/fire.jpg

You wouldn't believe how frustrating it is trying to remember the name of the fish!

Thanks

Andy

Hiya Andy.

If you are thinking of keeping malawi cichlids you will find that there are so many fish that you will get totally confused. African lake malawi cichlids come in loads of varieties. The photo that you have is a lab. caeruleus, The ones that you are seeing that are blue could be Pseudotropheus. But saying that you do get a labeotropheus fuelleborni which can be blue and they also come with blotches.

There are just so many.

HTH

:D Might help if you could get an actual pic of the fish in question.

Your first pic was of a rift lake cichlid(south african) the second looks like it is a firemouth cichlid from south america. Completely different parts of the world, different water requirements and temperaments(well ok they are both sort of agressivey).

Ok, I think I'm just going to have to give up trying to find the exact fish...

The main reason I asked was that a friend of mine bought 6 of them (4 yellow and 2 blue) from a fairly reputable LFS because they liked the look of them. They informed the shop owner that they had a peaceful tank with bogwood in it and that they were obviously using the local (hard) water supply, they asked if the fish would be suitable and if they had any special temperature/water condition/food requirements and the shop owner told us both that they would be perfectly fine in his tank with the food which he was currently using (floating flakes and sinking wafers). subsequently none of the fish ate and all died within 7-10 days. All seemed fine behavior wise other than not eating.

I was trying to find the fish on the web to verify if the information given to us by the LFS was correct - the fish cost him over £20 which is rather a lot for fish of that size and understandably he's still quite upset to have lost them all!

Once again thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom