Can anyone tell me what kind of cories i saw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I was a kid, 40 years ago, I remember seeing a tank full of some kind of tiny cories at a KMart. They always entranced me when my mom took me shopping with her. They were approx. 3/4in. or smaller. They were mainly white with some black markings. But the markings were variable and splotchy. Their barbels were very prominent.
I've tried to find similar cories but as long ago as it was, not sure if I'm remembering them right.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

They could be small peppered or panda cories, but I don't know exactly what you are describing.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the reply.
They had no irridescence. And their markings were very random, not a pattern.

"Julii" Cories?
Cory-julii-1.jpg

possibly even
Salt and Pepper Cories
salt-and-pepper-cory-1269301328-800.jpg

Try pygmy cories

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do a google image search on "Aspidoras". Similar to corydoras but smaller.
Or Pygmy corydoras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Habrosus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the suggestions! The Aspidoras look the closest in body shape and barbels. The color is different from what I saw. But I wonder if they were another species of Aspidoras that aren't shown in many photos on the web.
That gives me a direction to look. :)

Try pygmy cories

No pygmy species 40 years ago. It's possible that is one of the other species mentioned, but it could possibly also be a species that was common then, but has since fallen out of popularity and is now rare.

Habrosus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I had to hazard a guess it would be Aspidoras eurycephalus, they were very common some time ago and nearly disappeared completely from the hobby.

Wow, that's interesting that there are species that used to be popular then but aren't now.

The main thing I'm not seeing in any of the suggested species is the right coloring. The white was totally non irridescent. Kind of like some Koi. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

When I was a kid, 40 years ago, I remember seeing a tank full of some kind of tiny cories at a KMart. They always entranced me when my mom took me shopping with her. They were approx. 3/4in. or smaller. They were mainly white with some black markings. But the markings were variable and splotchy. Their barbels were very prominent.
I've tried to find similar cories but as long ago as it was, not sure if I'm remembering them right.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Hi Hholly, is there anyway you could sketch what you do remember and post it as a pic?

Back
Top Bottom