Can bloodworms live in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Made a first time visit to a new lfs store today (not a "new" store, but new to me), and though I didn't buy any fish or anything, I did notice they sold live bloodworms by the ounce. So I got an ounce of them (which seems like a bijillion worms lol) and brought them home, dumped some in my tank. (Edit: 29 gal with 6 zebra danios, 3 cory cats, and some ghost shrimp. I probably put in a total of 30 worms, and not all at once.)

My zebra danios would go after most of them, all except the largest ones. I tried to get some worms to the gravel because I heard corys love them. Sure enough, the corys came over and would suck them up like spaghetti (so funny to watch). I even saw a couple of my larger ghost shrimp be able to wrestle a whole worm into their mouth.

However, I also noticed that some made it to the gravel, and after a few seconds would wiggle around and wiggle right down into the gravel. :?

Will they live down there, and eventually pop their heads up (and hopefully get eaten?) Or will they just go down there, die, rot, and cause water problems?

Live bloodworms are a great high protein treat. They are low in fiber, so don't feed them too often, or your fish may become bloated from constipation. I've found that fresh veggies make a nice chaser meal after something rich like bloodworms.

The corys will root out most worms that happened to make it into the gravel. Your weekly gravel vacs should take care of the rest.

Did you try to get a pic of the cory eating the bloodworm?

Ooh, no, but once I get my digital camera back, or once I can borrow one, I will try that. It is truly hysterical, especially when once two of them had the same worm (one from either end).

I need to get pics of my corys up anyways since I still haven't positively ID'd two of them.

To answer your original question.....no....the bloodworms will not live for long in your aquarium. Bloodworms aren't really worms....they are the aquatic larvae of a type of fly called a midge. The midge lays its eggs in the water....the eggs hatch into larvae (which we call bloodworms) and eventually the larvae will metamorphose into adult winged insects. They might remain alive in your aquarium for a while but will eventually change and attempt to fly away.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom