Can fish die from too hot of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTcolorchangn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the past two days or so the A/C has been broken in my dorm. We're told the A/C should be on tonight (we were told that last night too). My problem is that the temp in my tank is now about 86 degrees. That's as high as my thermometer goes, but I don't think it's any hotter than that. So, are my fish in any immediate danger? Is there anything I can do? Any advice is appreciated.

FYI: the only fish in the 2.5 gallon tank are a black phantom tetra and a bleeding heart tetra.

They should be OK at 86 degrees for a few days....remember...these are TROPICAL fish and most of them have to withstand temperatures like that every so often.

86 is a little bit high and they should be able to handle it for a couple of days, but in the meantime, you can add some ice cubes to a baggie and float them in your tank.

Just remember though, the hotter the water, the less oxygen you have for your fish. You can float ice cubes and add an airstone for additional aeration until your a/c comes back on.

Actually, if you look at the articles on this site for treating ich, the most popular treament method is to heat the water to 87 or 88 degrees as ich cannot survive these temperatures, however the fish can.

I know you aren't treating ich, but many on this forum can attest that fish can handle over a week of high 80's temps and survive just fine.

Hope that reduces your concern. :)

Paul

Actually Fawn hit the nail on the head. Oxygen beomes depleted very quickly at that temperature. You want plenty of surface agitation to insure your fish can breath.

Back
Top Bottom