Can fish feel malice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had a heated argument with my father ?. Long story short, at the time I was in a dark place. The point where I felt so much hatred toward my father I wanted to kill him lol. I was arguing with him near my goldfish tank. At that moment I noticed all my goldfish seemed to swim to the far end of the fish tank far away from me. Could they feel my malice? I mean, dogs seemed to have an heightened sense right? Does that apply to fish as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It could be that they were responding to the increased movement or volume. But we really have no way of knowing. Yet...

If you were being loud it probably just scared them. Or some fish like my JD and ropefish will run and take cover if there is fast sudden movements in from of the tank.

Caleb

Most animals can sense high levels of distress or anger. It helps keep them alive. I notice my fish run from one of my cats when it is near but come right up to the other cat. Maybe they sense one cats is a brat and the other watches over them and tries to keep everyone out of the tank. LOL Have you tried talking to someone about your anger? That seems like an awful lot of strong emotions to keep to under control.

Most animals can sense high levels of distress or anger. It helps keep them alive. I notice my fish run from one of my cats when it is near but come right up to the other cat. Maybe they sense one cats is a brat and the other watches over them and tries to keep everyone out of the tank. LOL Have you tried talking to someone about your anger? That seems like an awful lot of strong emotions to keep to under control.

I agree. Saying you want to kill your father is extreme. I would try to get some help.

Caleb

I was at a friend's place and we were getting our fishing rods ready to go fishing. Then we noticed the 3 gold fish lined up next to eat other watching us do.
I think they can feel what's going on.

I was at a friend's place and we were getting our fishing rods ready to go fishing. Then we noticed the 3 gold fish lined up next to eat other watching us do.
I think they can feel what's going on.

Wasnt after smokin some pot by any chance?
( dude these fish are watch'n us man )

Loooooool for me to say "killing" might be too extreme lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Off topic but yes they do!

If I miss feeding one night, they take it out on the plants! Tops of plants gone and hair grass (forget name) totally uprooted and torn to shreds...

Otherwise idk, normally the fish come up to see if I have food but at certain times of the day they are skittish (mainly around lunch time).

Last edited:
I've noticed when I'm mad my bettas hid in the corner behind the filter and when I'm happy they come out and show off their colors more vibrantly

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom