Can fish have internal bleeding !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new guppy, (less than a week) and she seems to have internal bleeding.. Is it the case, or are my kribensis getting aggressive ? (I don't have another fish that I believe can do that, only platy, mollies, guppies and danios +Apple and giant snail) it's definitely inside.. Are my fish in danger ?

i have a new guppy, (less than a week) and she seems to have internal bleeding.. Is it the case, or are my kribensis getting aggressive ? (i don't have another fish that i believe can do that, only platy, mollies, guppies and danios +apple and giant snail) it's definitely inside.. Are my fish in danger ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393731324.354060.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393731335.519415.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393731347.218579.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393731359.787141.jpg

It didn't look good. Looked like bruising or blood clots (never seen but that's what it seems to me on the iPhone) all over the body, not just belly?

I can imagine it is possible. Can you separate out? Is she still eating and schooling?

I put her in a birthing box without the tray.. :/ .. My boyfriend said it looks like bruising, but I read online that maybe it could be bacteria ? But it's definitely inside and looks bad.. Will she survive ? She's swimming and doesn't look to be suffering .. She's extremely pregnant and a little squared up.. Could it be a miscarriage ?

I put her in a birthing box without the tray.. :/ .. My boyfriend said it looks like bruising, but I read online that maybe it could be bacteria ? But it's definitely inside and looks bad.. Will she survive ? She's swimming and doesn't look to be suffering .. She's extremely pregnant and a little squared up.. Could it be a miscarriage ?

Bacterial would have been my thought. If it has spread past the belly I would say bacterial. Perhaps if she was disturbed then may have hung onto them. Either way I guess not great news. If still lively and eating I would try a bit longer. Is she off in separate QT in the birthing tray?

No.. I'm using my hospital tank, I'm treating some fungus I contracted after curing fish I got with ich.. Should I put her in there ? I'm treating with pimafix... :-( I
Got this horrible brach of guppies and everything went bad from there. I didn't think she would be exposed, she is in my 55 community and all the sick fish are in my 35g hospital, she never has been in contact with any of the fish in there + everything in the community seems fine.. (Parameters are really good nitrates a bit high because I took out my plants my nothing to get alarmed by still lower than some other tanks)
Any suggestions ? Should I salt the tank ? She really is a beauty and I would hate to loose her..

Worth a try and as she is getting worse. Would you have enough gear / good weather to do it in say a change bucket that you could try for a few days? Just to avoid salting the tank (even without the plants).

Edit - how is the pimafix going with the fungus?

Last edited:
Woke up this morning and she died :-( I'm going back to the store... Are my other fish in danger ?

And pimafix seems to be working fine... I only had one with pronounced fungus and it's going down..

I would suspect pregnancy complications. It sounded like sepsis to me. She may have been injured and the fry died inside. This sets up a bacterial infection that looks like a bruise or blood spots in the abdominal area. There is not much you can do at that point.

Woke up this morning and she died :-( I'm going back to the store... Are my other fish in danger ?

Good news on the fungus going down.

Hopefully no other problems as she was isolated, I'd keep a close eye on the tank for a few days. A water change never hurts. Sad news on the fish.

They returned it no problem, they knew me and know my water is really good quality, plus it's the first fish I ever return there..
I put 20ml for 40g, each day.. It's gone down a lot!.. I can hardly see which one had it because 3 are very alike in colour it's now the fourth day.
I'm keeping an eye on my tank and put the new guppy in quarantine.. Hoping everything goes well from now on :)

I would watch your fish. If you can put some treatments in there. I would recommend quarantining the new fish when you get them, and always do that, just to make sure if they are healthy. In that way, if they die from something from the store, it won't attack your established tank. I hope all the best. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom