Can Fish Vomit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know if he was vomiting or bit more than he could chew, but my black veil angelfish just spat up a cloud worm parts/worms. I don't know if he was eating them off the bottom of the tank and had to spit them out, bt my bala shark came up and ate the rest of the "vomit." Suggestions?

Time: Less than 2 minutes ago

Last edited:
I don't think they vomit, like we do. But they will eat a piece of food and if its too large they'll spit out part of it or all of it and try again. Sounds like that is what your angelfish did...except the Bala stole it. :)

Yeah I have seen just about all my fish do whwat you mentioned, but the angel didnt go back for the broken chunks so I thought it was odd. Maybe is just slow, he kinda is the [moderator edit] out of all my fish(for example, won't go for food????). Retarded.

Barramundi regurgatate their stomach contents when you hook them. It is a defence mechanism they use. So I guess it is possible..... I suspect however that your angel has eaten more than its fill and was chewing up more than it could fit in as Kristin has said.

Fish can vomit as mattrox said, but most (I assume most) in aquariums will vomit/regurgitate from over-feeding.

Most fish will do this when feeding, take a bit of food then spit it out again, they don't have teeth so this is the way they break up the food into small enough bits.

With pellet food my tetras would often eat a whole pellet and spit it out and balance it on their nose for a few seconds before doing it again!

Back
Top Bottom