Can gold gouramis and angels coexist peacefully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got a new 55 gallon. Getting some stocking ideas. Any opinions on gouramis and angels? Numbers of each? What about apistos? The semi aggressive thing is new to me. So any experienced opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

No problems. I have 13 angels and only 2 blue gourami and never have issues. The angels will fight with themselves if they need to. Angels in general are fairly peaceful. Just watch fin-nippers like barbs.

Yes i agree, angels and gouramis are no big deal, provided they are in the proper sized tank. You could add a ram or apisto to that bunch too. It usually works out well

Hholly said:
So what are some safe numbers of each to have? Thanks you guys.

Well, in a 55 you could do several angels, probably 2 gouramis, and 1-2 apisto/ram. You dont want to push it especially with the gouramis

While I do agree that gouramis and angels is possible, I am going to add that it doesn't always work. If you want it to work in the long term, I suggest keeping the numbers of each at a minimum because when angels pair up, they can be downright nasty to other tankmates. Yes, it can work. But the chances of everybody getting long are diminished if there is breeding happening. I am not telling you not to do it, just warning to keep an eye out for issues.
I suggest no more than 2 angels and only 1-2 gouramis plus a couple apistos. The apisotos stay low in the the tank, so they usually stay out of the angels' way (but not always).
I think the angel/gourami combo does seem to work more often than not. :) If I was you, I would try not to get any gourami pairs since some of them are easier to sex than angels. Hopefully it works. They are both very beautiful species.

Back
Top Bottom