can goldies eat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loki azrial

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
raisens? i know they can eat most things but ive just gave my wee boy a pack of raisens n thought maybe the goldies would like them, i always wanna check before i feed them stuff just incase

thanx
loki xxx

I would not feed them. Goldfish have a difficult time digesting the skins of fruits & veggies (ie pea shells, grape skins etc) and I imagine the raisins would be very difficult to digest & may even possibily create an impaction in their bowels because the raisin would not be properly digested & would try to pass through their system whole. You can feed bits of fresh grape with the skin removed safely.

I see your point with the skins but because raisins are a dried fruit which has really good vitamins in it which help fish growth you could scrape out the insides and give them the insides which has lots of vitamins. You can do that with most dried fruit, my 4 shibunkin love fruit. Hope my advice helps

Aren't raisins just dehydrated grapes? o_O

Yep, dehydrated grapes. But Goldie's don't have teeth to chew them up like we do. They would be a big choking hazard as well. Skip the raisens. :)

I would personally advise against giving them fruits and stick to fish food , but you could them some kind of veg like cucumber without the skin on.

Maybe you could do this once a week then It would be a healthy diet for them :)

Good Luck and tell us if they like the veg , Lettuce and so on :)

Aston.

I would personally advise against giving them fruits and stick to fish food , but you could them some kind of veg like cucumber without the skin on.

Aston.

Aquarium-bound goldies actually need daily veggies & benefit greatly from them. Fruits are fine as well as long they are not fed every single day due to their high sugar content. Lettuce is not a wise choice for any fish because its mostly water & lacks any nutritional value- spinach/kale/turnip greens/broccoli rabe, etc are healthier options. All veggies should be blanched/cooked prior to serving & be torn/smooshed into bit sized bits or soft enough to tear easily (such as broccoli florets).

my goldies get all veg , broccoli, carrot, peas, sweetcorn,cauliflower etc. but I've never been sure about giving fruits, they are fed veg on a daily basis they get half veg half flakes they love it

loki xxx

Glen44 said:
I see your point with the skins but because raisins are a dried fruit which has really good vitamins in it which help fish growth you could scrape out the insides and give them the insides which has lots of vitamins. You can do that with most dried fruit, my 4 shibunkin love fruit. Hope my advice helps
Dried fruits have no more nutrients then their "wet" counterparts, just less water. Dried fruits are sticky and chewy. Skip any kind of dried fruit and just give regular things like grapes instead of raisins and plums instead of prunes.

Fishy Aston said:

Blanched veggies everyday is good for Goldfish, nothing out of a can. Fruits maybe once a week for a treat.

Thats great! Just be careful with the corn- its very heavy on starches. My guys love pieces of tangerine, chunks of melon (particularly watermelon), bits of grape, berries, soft pears, apples, etc for fruits. :)

thanks got some pears in the kitchen so I will try them with it tomorrow I tried melon once but they wernt interested, what about banana?

loki xxx

jlk said:
Thats great! Just be careful with the corn- its very heavy on starches. My guys love pieces of tangerine, chunks of melon (particularly watermelon), bits of grape, berries, soft pears, apples, etc for fruits. :)

Oooo.... Pears, yum, have to try that. Watermelon and pears they love. I tried apples once but after blanching a piece, to make it softer, it fell apart and would not hold in the veggie clip. I don't feed corn (or potatoes), nope. Mine dig on Kidney beans (skins off) also, they are a bit starchy but they only get a small bit once a month on taco night.

On occasion I will treat my gold fish to a slice of orange or lime. I cut a thin slice and use a veggie clip. They go crazy for it! I will usually only do this when I know I will be cleaning the tank shortly. It could mess with your PH. (only an occasional treat)

Back
Top Bottom