Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

can goldies eat...

raisens? i know they can eat most things but ive just gave my wee boy a pack of raisens n thought maybe the goldies would like them, i always wanna check before i feed them stuff just incase

thanx
loki xxx

Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not feed them. Goldfish have a difficult time digesting the skins of fruits & veggies (ie pea shells, grape skins etc) and I imagine the raisins would be very difficult to digest & may even possibily create an impaction in their bowels because the raisin would not be properly digested & would try to pass through their system whole. You can feed bits of fresh grape with the skin removed safely.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I see your point with the skins but because raisins are a dried fruit which has really good vitamins in it which help fish growth you could scrape out the insides and give them the insides which has lots of vitamins. You can do that with most dried fruit, my 4 shibunkin love fruit. Hope my advice helps
Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aren't raisins just dehydrated grapes? O.o
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, dehydrated grapes. But Goldie's don't have teeth to chew them up like we do. They would be a big choking hazard as well. Skip the raisens.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #6

I would personally advise against giving them fruits and stick to fish food , but you could them some kind of veg like cucumber without the skin on.

Maybe you could do this once a week then It would be a healthy diet for them

Good Luck and tell us if they like the veg , Lettuce and so on

Aston.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Aston View Post
I would personally advise against giving them fruits and stick to fish food , but you could them some kind of veg like cucumber without the skin on.

Aston.
Aquarium-bound goldies actually need daily veggies & benefit greatly from them. Fruits are fine as well as long they are not fed every single day due to their high sugar content. Lettuce is not a wise choice for any fish because its mostly water & lacks any nutritional value- spinach/kale/turnip greens/broccoli rabe, etc are healthier options. All veggies should be blanched/cooked prior to serving & be torn/smooshed into bit sized bits or soft enough to tear easily (such as broccoli florets).
Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

my goldies get all veg , broccoli, carrot, peas, sweetcorn,cauliflower etc. but I've never been sure about giving fruits, they are fed veg on a daily basis they get half veg half flakes they love it

loki xxx
Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen44
I see your point with the skins but because raisins are a dried fruit which has really good vitamins in it which help fish growth you could scrape out the insides and give them the insides which has lots of vitamins. You can do that with most dried fruit, my 4 shibunkin love fruit. Hope my advice helps
Dried fruits have no more nutrients then their "wet" counterparts, just less water. Dried fruits are sticky and chewy. Skip any kind of dried fruit and just give regular things like grapes instead of raisins and plums instead of prunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Aston

Blanched veggies everyday is good for Goldfish, nothing out of a can. Fruits maybe once a week for a treat.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats great! Just be careful with the corn- its very heavy on starches. My guys love pieces of tangerine, chunks of melon (particularly watermelon), bits of grape, berries, soft pears, apples, etc for fruits.

Tags
die, eat, goldie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com