Can I Add A Bolivian Ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36 gallon tank fully established for about a year now. It houses an angelfish, 9 neon tetras, 2 cherry barbs, 2 gold barbs, 7 khuli loaches, and a bolivian ram. I was wondering if I was able to add another bolivian ram without overstocking or having aggression issues. The current fish have been in the tank for a couple months now and the only agression is from my current bolivian ram which will chase my angel for a second, but nothing bad ever happens, the ram stops chasing it and just goes away. I also don't know the sex of my ram and if i have another one I wouldn't be able to sex it either because I would be getting it from the unknowledable petco employees. Sorry if this got long and maybe a little off topic, but do you think I could add another Bolivian Ram without changing the harmony in my tank?

Rams are a schooling fish I do believe so it would prob be best to get him another tankmate. Just do a google search on them. I don't think adding one more would do any harm

aaronjohn20 said:
Rams are a schooling fish I do believe so it would prob be best to get him another tankmate. Just do a google search on them. I don't think adding one more would do any harm

Rams are not schooling fish, they do fine by themselves

Ok. Thanks for clarifying that for me as well as the op. Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read on the internet because that is where I read it. I am also in the same boat as I have one ram and was debateing on getting another but my lfs sells them for $12.99

I know they do, do fine by themselves, but I think it would be cool to see both of them swimming around together. Also, they are my second favorite fish, so of course if I can add another I will.

I think it would be sketchy adding another. You've got an angel there already with it. What's the sex of the current one?

I don't know the sex, because i got it at petco and they aren't too knowledgeable about their fish. I don't really want to risk it because everyone is getting along great and I don't have any caves for the rams to mark as their territory

I wouldn't do it, could end up to much for the tank, it can be difficult to sex Bolivians especially in the shop, 2 males probably not going to like each other and if it's a female both are not going to like everyone once breeding starts. The only time rams school is when one is attached to another's tail.

Last edited:
Post a pic of ur current ram and we can try to sex it for you. IMO you should be fine. I've had German blue rams with Angels before and didn't have any problems.

Sorry man, just done a conversion from Gallons to Litres, 163 litres - you could easily get away with another Bolivian, maybe another Angel and a Barb or two.

Borderlesscott said:
I wouldn't do it, could end up to much for the tank, it can be difficult to sex Bolivians especially in the shop, 2 males probably not going to like each other and if it's a female both are not going to like everyone once breeding starts. The only time rams school is when one is attached to another's tail.

Actually, 2 males would be buddies, 2 females together wouldn't work. I don't know why, it's just what I've been told on here.

Tetra1990 said:
Actually, 2 males would be buddies, 2 females together wouldn't work. I don't know why, it's just what I've been told on here.

Not in all cases, they may get on at times other times not so much, they are Cichlids after all. My two males hate each other - stay at opposite ends of my 4ft tank, and if they do see each other it's war until one retreats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom