Can i add more fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, i have a 36 gallon tank with the current stock.

1x dwarf gourami
1x angel fish
5x neon tetras
2x cherry barbs
2x gold barbs
3x cory cats
1x bolivian ram
1x flying fox
1x nerite snail

I am wondering if i am fully stocked or not. I also know that sometimes angels dont go well with neons, but the angel is still small and it seems like it doesnt even notice the neons. I want to maybe add some more neons or cory cats or nerite snails. What do you think? Thanks

I think you would be ok to add a few more corys. Since the neons are small, I think you would be ok to add a few more, but I would suggest you get a few more barbs to fill out those shools rather than getting more neons.

We cannot even think about discussing without knowing water quality. What is the nitrate concentration?

Didn't see that absolute lol. Even still there is alot more questions you need answered before you start talking about being overstocked.

That filter sounds like it should be good. Its is always a good idea to get your water tested at a petstore (make sure they use a liquid kit) before adding more fish to make sure the parameters are good. The advice I gave earlier is good for species compatability, but you should make sure your parameters are in line before adding more. :)

Whoops, I meant to say you should get a test kit (liquid), but if you don't have one yet, then its good to go get the water tested somewhere at least.

yah i go to petco and they use strips which i know arent good but they say my water is good and the employee that does it really knows fish

I agree you should make sure your nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and PH are in the proper range. Before you add new fish. how long has your tank been set up.

Fishman

I also agree that you really need to get a liquid test kit to find out what your parameters are.

Sorry, I don't trust Petco. Them telling me something is wrong is like telling Albert Einstein his theory of general relativity is wrong and laughing at his face.

IMO your neon tetras and cherry barbs aren't going to be happy campers with an angel that will eventually grow up. Without a lot of room to hide, I can just see the angel having snacks swimming right in front of him.

im hoping to upgrade to a 55+ gallon soon so if i do the angel would go in that and the tank has been up for almost 3 months now

I think youll be good, assuming that your water quality is good

Last edited by a moderator:
You might as well just guess if you are going to trust test strips. Buy an API liquid nitrate test kit, it is the only one you should need. It would be better if you get their Freshwater Master kit, but if you only get one, get the nitrate kit. There are many things that build up in low quality water (growth inhibiting hormones, dissolved organic compounds, etc.). We don't have test kits for these, but fortunately they correlate very well with nitrate unless the tank is well planted (which removes the nitrate but not the other things). As long as you can keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change you are fine. If you can't you need to increase the size of your water changes.

Back
Top Bottom