Can I add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! I have an established 29 gallon aquarium. The water parameters are ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-15ppm. I currently have 5 black phantom tetras, 6 glow light tetras and 4 peppered cory cats. Do I have room for neon or cardinal tetra or am I at the max?
Thanks in advance ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You have ample room. I have a 29 stocked with 21 tetras and 4 corys, and I'm right around completely stocked (according to Aqadvisor).

If you get either Neons or Cardinals, get a shoal of 7-8.

Hi all! I have an established 29 gallon aquarium. The water parameters are ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-15ppm. I currently have 5 black phantom tetras, 6 glow light tetras and 4 peppered cory cats. Do I have room for neon or cardinal tetra or am I at the max?
Thanks in advance ?

I think you are in fact cycled.. i do not agree with adding another shoal.. possibly up the corys to 8? And the others to 7 each. Gradually of course. Than consider a centerpiece fish such as a dwarf gourami..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks in advance ?

You have plenty of room left! I woldl increase your current tetra schools to about 12 a piece on each and about 8 Corys. Are you running a sand or rock substrate?

I would also recommend increasing the size of your existing shoals.

So I should increase my 2 current tetra shoals to how many? And when I increase them add or do not add the neons? ?

You will be fine then, increase the schools and enjoy the fun

Says who?? Because one ac 50 is running? Bare minimum for a lightly stocked 29. Maybe settle it down a bit? Water change routines will play a major role in future stocking.

Oh the confusion!! Lol.
My water changes are weekly..... Does that make a difference?

Sounds like you are off to a good start!

You could use the aqua advisor site to check your current stocking level. You're doing a good job so far having shoaling fish in shoals, keep that up.

I think you have a lot of room, I have similar species in a 29 and have way more fish than that. Aqua advisor says I'm 105% stocked, and weekly 30% water changes and an Aquaclear 50 kept my nitrates below 20 before I had plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Oh the confusion!! Lol.
My water changes are weekly..... Does that make a difference?

Sorry, I was not directing that at you, in quoting another member I am responding directly to that post. You seem to be doing very well! I'd hate for you to follow Advice solely based on the filter you are running;)

No offense taken Brookster!! ? I just don't want to overstock so I thought I'd get opinions. I appreciate all the input so I can weigh my options

You can def. add.. just do slowly and thoughtfully. A day of research will save you and hour of torment!

Thanks so much! January will be 3 years of having my tank and I still research like crazy!!! Like I said, always afraid to overdo ?

The tank in question is 3 years old? ?

Says who?? Because one ac 50 is running? Bare minimum for a lightly stocked 29.

I have an AQ50 on my heavily-stocked 29 and it's more than adequate. I can easily go two months without cleaning it. (Of course, I also do 20% WCs twice a week, and that probably helps.)

The OP could put an AQ70 on the tank and that would be fine, but it's important to keep in mind that most tetras aren't big fans of strong filter return current. That can become a big issue in a small-ish tank.

I agree that increasing the shoal numbers is a good idea. I try to shoot for 8 individuals of each species. Ten is probably better, but if you're in a small tank, that's really going to limit your options.

Back
Top Bottom