Can I add more to my 29g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matt,
as I stated earlier in one of my posts...I am not that crazy about my lamp eyes. Not much personality, imo. Maybe I'm just not a tetra fan, don't know. I like fish that like to display and have personality and my lamp eyes don't. They hide alot in the plants and only really come out to eat.

If you dont like them, take them back and try something else.

if u still havnt decided yet. a good top dwelling fish that take up little to no room and school very nicely would be white cloud minnows. i have 15 of them in my 55 and they stay at the very top of the tank. imo they are very cool fish they school and look very nice

Thanks dude....I still haven't made up my mind. I am kinda worried about the angels with my female bettas...don't know how either would react really. I guess I will figure it out tomorrow when I get to PetSmart. lol

I'd recommend taking a look at Rasboras. Harlequin Rasboras are fairly easy to get ahold of, but there are many more varieties available. I've never been a fan of Tetras, but I love Rasboras. You might enjoy some of the smaller Rainbows.

I would recommend against the Angels, simply because a pair would pretty much fill the tank by themselves once grown. Unless they are going to be pretty much your only fish, the 29 gallon isn't going to provide enough room.

I agree with Purrbox if you want a tank full of active schooling fish I would pass on the pair of angels.

I've got 15 angelfish in my 29 gallon tank due to a lack of room but that hasn't prevented the fish from pairing off and having three separate spawning pairs in the tank! A pair of angels would be fine as long as they aren't altums (which you won't come across at PetSmart anyhow).

They are young and most of them are between half dollar and dollar size. Angels will get to 6" but that's after years of growing.

Bryan,
Are there any "small" angelfish that don't grow to be 6". And, how about my question regarding the angels and my female bettas....do you think they would live happily together?

I don't see why the angels wouldn't be okay with the bettas. I have some silvers (silver with black vertical stripes) and they are peaceful. They only quarrel amongst themselves when they are about ready to breed but they aren't as aggressive as my GBR's were.

As far as getting an angelfish that stays smaller, altums can grow to be 8"+. Scalare, which are the common ones you see in the LFS will get about 6" MAX and that takes a couple of years. Their are standard finned and veil finned scalares. Veil finned angels will be considerably taller than standards but their bodies will be about the same size. I recommend standards for that tank. If you want, I can try to send you a couple of mine for your tank. I don't know if you like silvers but they are NICE and healthy fish. They eat a TON of food. I feed them at least 4 times a day, no joke. PM me if you might be interested. I should proabably start to get rid of some of them anyway LOL. I can try to take some pics for you but I'll be at work all day today and tomorrow will be my first chance to get some new ones. I have some older ones of a pair that spawned for me but they aren't "excellent", however they DO show what they look like. Here's a link: bs6749/Angelfish Breeders - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The first pic that is a "tank shot" shows all of them and how large they are. The tank is a 29g for reference so that's how big they'd be in your tank. Notice the two (pair) above the anubias in that pic. They have much darker stripes than most of the others in the tank. They get darker when they are ready to spawn. All of the fish have really nice coloration and they have some nice orange/yellow by their mouths and their ventral fins and even their bodies show hints of blue! It's really cool when you catch the blue out of the corner of your eye.

Are there any "small" angelfish that don't grow to be 6". And, how about my question regarding the angels and my female bettas....do you think they would live happily together?

I'm not Bryan, but no, there are no angel fish that won't get large. As far as the bettas go it may work and it may not, you just need to have alternative arrangements in case it doesn't.

If it helps I have glowlight tetras, neon tetras and gold tetras in my tank and all 3 will school together(if they can keep up with the gold tetras) I love the gold tetras. They are always darting around if you need something that moves. I also know that Black Neons will school with Glowlight Tetras so maybe a combo of some of those.

That sounds like a nice idea. Stick to two or three species more than that and your aquarium will just look busy.

By the ya any angel I have ever had has grown to nearly full size in well less than two years. All well over 4-5 inches by the end of the first year.

Back
Top Bottom