Can I add plants now without stalling the cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 50 gallon tank that has been cycling for two weeks now. I put in the ammonia on the first day and have had a reading of 5.0 for two weeks now. I am hoping it will start to drop soon! Anyways, I didn't put plants in there from the start because I was still trying to figure out what I want, but I would like to get them in there within the next week or two so when it is finally done cycling, it will be ready for the fish. Since I will need to drain a little water so I can get in there to plant the plants, will that screw up the cycle? Would I just need to replenish the ammonia when I fill it back up, or am I better off just waiting for it to start cycling?

You should be ok because most of the bacteria is in the filter. If you add plants you may not see nitrate to indicate and end to your cycle. But you will be able to tell from 0 ammonia and nitrite readings.

the sooner you add plants the better. they help cycle the tank. if you have to lower the water to plant is fine just when you fill it add the ammonia like you were thinking. unless they add a lot of plants they still should see nitrates.

Ok, I have been putting off the plants because I was trying to figure out what lighting I am going to put in it. When you say the plants help the cycle, you mean they will help get rid of the nitrates, right? I am not even to the point of getting nitrites yet, so I hope that will happen soon. Its been 2 weeks.

they speed up the cycle. takes less time to finish the cycle. some people even do what is called silent cycles which is a bunch of fast growing plants in a new tank with a couple fish. the fast growing plants uses the ammonia up so fast that you dont have to cycle the tank. just add to the stock slowly. but again, someone new to plants shouldnt try this and have a back up ready to go.

Plants also provide a nice surface for bacteria to grow as well. They do consume some ammonia, but I don't think it slows the cycle down. Unless there are so many plants that they keep the ammonia level down to zero, there should always be enough ammonia to get the bacteria going. I've used plants, stability, and prime to cycle fully stocked 2.5g and 10g tanks with fish within 2 1/2 weeks without any loss of fish. You -may- burn the first set of plants you put in though. I ammonia burned one set of plants when I didn't use Prime to detox the tank, though the plants are still alive months later and sending out ridiculous numbers of spores now.

It's really strange that you're not seeing nitrites after 2 weeks though, especially with the amount of ammonia you're putting in there. Is your tank filtered/dechlorinated/heated? Some ammonia may be evaporating out of the water, giving you the impression that something is actually happening when there aren't any bacteria.

I think that cycling time just varies a ton from tank to tank, personally. It's not something I would worry about. I agree that you can go ahead and add your plants whenever you want.

If you are growing impatient with your cycle (I know it's difficult!), you can get some filter media or gravel from a friend with an established tank and greatly speed up the process. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom