Can I add Tiger Barbs to my Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orca

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have a 75 gal community tank with the following occupants, and am wondering if it would be safe to add a school of 8 Tiger Barbs:

3 Dwarf Gouramis
4 Black Mollys
4 Spotted Corys
5 Hatchet Tetras
2 African Dwarf Frogs
4 Neon Tetras
1 Rubber Lip Pleco (future resident currently in QT)

Are any of these likely to get beat up or harrassed by a gang of Tiger Barbs?

Thanks!

Barbs have a nippy rep and may go after the gouramis and hatchets. I don't keep barbs in my community tank, I opted for tetras. One day, I would like some barbs, but I will probably keep them in their own community.

I think you could probably get away with keeping a small school of Tiger Barbs in that tank. I've got 8 of them in my community tank with other fish (see my signature for a list) and haven't had a bit of trouble. They haven't even taken an interest in the ventral fins on my Blue Gouramis! Tiger Barbs are a lot less aggressive toward other fish if you keep them in a school of 6 or more.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=17791&highlight=tiger+barbs
more about barbs..

since added after the rest, they may be alright...
you dwarf gourami , if there is a male, may also take exception to them and be the harassERS

I have deja'vu here becuase I know his came up with a very similar tank about 2 months ago. But yours is bigger ^_^

But wouldn't neons become barb chow? (as they are for everything more than double their size?..heh)

Fruitbat, I had read your Tiger Barbs profile, and that's what gave me the idea that they might work in my tank. I also borrowed (stole?) the school size of 8 from your signature list. :lol:

Thanks everyone else for your responses as well.

My original plan was to have a large school of Neon Tetras, but that ended in disaster. I lost 15 of them within a week of introducing them to the tank. The 4 I have left are the survivors. :cry: Haven't lost anything else, so I assume I was the victim of a bad batch.

I hoping to have more success with Barbs.

Hey, fellow Coloradoan.

I have barbs in with my neons, but they are gold barbs and cherry barbs.
The barbs are fine with the tetras in my tank.

Orca....glad the profile was of some assistance. As you can see from my signature, I have my Tiger Barbs in with Red-tailed (Brilliant) Rasboras which are roughly equivalent to tetras in personality. The Rasboras were small when I got them and the Tiger Barbs weren't in the slightest bit interested. Now that the Rasboras have grown....the Tiger Barbs are even LESS interested!

That is neat to know..I really like the look of the tanks at my lfs that have clowns, tigers and convicts mixed. But I know barbs are almost always the second biggest culprit for tearing up labyrinths in a community.
So large groups of 7+. w007! :D

Back
Top Bottom