Can I ask a pretty stupid (guppy) question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Awhile back I bought 4 males guppies - 48 hrs later 3 were dead and someone said it sounded like stress, since the guppies had all lost their tail color when found.

Two weeks ago I bought 6 male guppies and put them in QT. 3 were snakeskins (and very pretty), 3 were sortof mosaics. The three mosaics died within 72 hrs, the snakeskins are fine and now in the 29G.

The snakeskins seem to be around together alot in the 29G. Is it "normal" for guppies to hang out together or is this aggression that I need to be worried about (I haven't seen any nipping, or anything that looks like aggression - in fact they just seem to be "synchronized swimming" - but I thought I should ask).

While I'm at it - since only the snakeskins survived is it possible that they are more aggressive (in general) and stressed the "sortof mosaics" to death ? None of the dead guppies had lost their color, but I figured I'd ask anyway just i case.

I have three more of the "sortof mosaics" that I brought home today in the QT tank. I didn't mix any snakeskins in just in case aggression WAS the issue.

Your theory is pretty sound, the only other thing I could think of is that the mosaics were probably a weakened strain. Having that many meet such a quick demise points to that as well.

Good luck with the snakeskins.

(PS - Nice avatar switch...I prefer the 70's version though :) )

My male guppies seem to school at times. I have all males in one tank. My attempt to keep the breeding to a minumum. LOL. Can you post some pics of the snakeskins? I'd love to see them.

Jchillin said:
Your theory is pretty sound, the only other thing I could think of is that the mosaics were probably a weakened strain. Having that many meet such a quick demise points to that as well.

Ah, interesting possibility. We'll see how the 3 mosaics in QT fair this week without the snakeskins around. I'm sure they're from the same original source, so we can actually check your theory.

Great link R&L ! Mine look like the green snakeskins. They really are striking - not only is the tail nice but their skin shimmers.

Now after looking through all those photos I want even more guppies LOL - who would have thought I'd end up with guppies (my original intent was African Cichlids ! LOL).

Jchillin said:
(PS - Nice avatar switch...I prefer the 70's version though :) )

(not to worry - I have about 3000 photos of Elvis and plan on using a variety of my photo collection, so 70s Elvis shall be back ! I've even found another diehard Elvis fan on AA - so you'll get to see his Elvis avatars also ! LOL)

My male guppies seem to school at times. I have all males in one tank. My attempt to keep the breeding to a minumum.
Exactly my situation as well.3 males in the 29g and they seem to school....not exclusivly,but more often then not.

Also...many many moons ago I used to breed gups as a hobby.I have learned more in the last 6 monthes then I ever knew then about fish keeping but,going back to some guppy knowledge of old I'll agree with Jchillin.A weak strain is not hard to achieve.

since only the snakeskins survived is it possible that they are more aggressive (in general) and stressed the "sortof mosaics" to death ?
fwiw thats not probable imo.

Whew, thank goodness - my fish aren't trying to kill each other and are actually acting normal and I (probably) didn't kill the mosaics. .... perfect for the last thing to read before bed; I can rest easy.

Back
Top Bottom