Can I do anything for neglected fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Blaaaaaargh!!!!

I just had a family dinner with my aunt and uncle. Several years ago I helped them set up a 30g. They knew nothing then and didn't take my advice about getting it going. Refused to get any substrate,

Fast forward to now. When I cat-sat for them I saw what was left: a bare-bottomed tank, a tiny filter, a few rubber dog toys for decorations, 2 catfish, a huge pleco, and a mountain of fish poop. I asked them, "Please, may I please please a) take that tank off your hands, or b) help you rehome your fish? You work all the time; I'll even buy it from you."

Nope, we like the fish, they said. But why won't the pleco eat the poop?

Blaaaaaargh!!!!!!

Now I'm going to cat-sit again. Aside from cleaning the tank, I don't know what I can do. Buy the poor pleco some algae wafers? Scrub the dog toys? Perform a mercy killing and blame it on the cats?

Kidding, of course. But this is brutal. I don't even like plecos and I still feel awful for these fish. It's like when I had a childhood friend whose dad kept hunting dogs in tiny cages.

I wish I could do something.

Cleaning the tank might show them how nice it looks and perhaps you can offer to stop by every few months to refresh it. Try not to hurt any feelings, could be tricky.

If the water is filtered then they have met the "minimum" fish keeping requirements in some people's pov. Sorry :/

I'm going throug the same process with my mom. You could try buying them a very nice looking tank plant. If they like it maybe they'll buy substrate for it.

You have raised a good point here. You wouldnt leave a dog in a room full of its own poop all day with little or nothing to keep it amused, so why do it to a fish?

I would speak to them about improving the tank (in a constructive way) and tell them they will get more out of the fish if they are a few things.

Maybe if they "like their fish" they will want to do this. If they don't agree, call their bluff and tell them they aren't interested!

You have raised a good point here. You wouldnt leave a dog in a room full of its own poop all day with little or nothing to keep it amused, so why do it to a fish?

I would speak to them about improving the tank (in a constructive way) and tell them they will get more out of the fish if they are a few things.

Maybe if they "like their fish" they will want to do this. If they don't agree, call their bluff and tell them they aren't interested!

I actually did this very thing last night and it was apparent that their fish meant about as much to them as their breakfast cereal. So why they won't let me take the tank off their hands is beyond me.

I suppose this post was more of a rant than anything as there isn't much else I can do. While they're out of town I'll clean the tank, clean the filter, and buy some algae wafers for the pleco. (Is that what plecos eat? I've never had one because I dislike them. Sorry, pleco people.) I've got little kids and I can't go over there every week for maintenance. I'll do my best to pound into their heads how miserable their fish are.

It's like the country folk you see who have a bunch of dogs tied to a doghouse in winter. Breaks my heart.

Yeah Pleco's do eat wafers.

It's actually a real problem having no substrate for a bottom feeder like a pleco. It's like growing up with size 2 shoes on. Surprised its not died of stress to be honest.

Try him and see how he goes.

Only other thing you could try is simply buy them the things he needs and offer to clean him when you can.

Best of luck.

I'd totally revamp the tank lol Add some driftwood (which most plecos need in their diet), some plants, substrate, upgrade the filter, buy them a siphon (of course this would cost money but it's for a good cause). Put a bow on the tank and say "Merry Christmas!" when they come back. What's the worst that can happen? ;)

I was about to say that but depends if you are comfortable doing all that for them!

Hopefully they will keep it in good condition as they would definitely prefer the tank that way.

I'd totally revamp the tank lol Add some driftwood (which most plecos need in their diet), some plants, substrate, upgrade the filter, buy them a siphon (of course this would cost money but it's for a good cause). Put a bow on the tank and say "Merry Christmas!" when they come back. What's the worst that can happen? ;)

That is exactly what I would do! And then "kill" the pleco (find him a new home) while they are out of town.

It's sad. That fact that their fish are still alive unfortunately reinforces their feeling of "if I ain't broke, don't fix it". Good luck with this.

Be very careful when cleaning a tank like this. A neglected tank can often end up with 'old tank syndrome' which is basically a situation where the nitrogenous waste buildup has hit an extreme level. That coupled with a potentially bottomed out pH leads to disaster when doing a large water change. I'd do small water changes on it daily and test the water along the way.

Be very careful when cleaning a tank like this. A neglected tank can often end up with 'old tank syndrome' which is basically a situation where the nitrogenous waste buildup has hit an extreme level. That coupled with a potentially bottomed out pH leads to disaster when doing a large water change. I'd do small water changes on it daily and test the water along the way.

Thanks for sharing this. I wasn't familiar with "old tank syndrome" at all. I only have a few days' access to the tank, so I'll at least get the fish poo out of there and buy the poor pleco something to eat. I have no idea how these fish are alive.

They're family, so they aren't going to get angry with me, but they're also going to continue their routine neglect of the tank, for certain. (You should see their lawn.) I'll mull it over and do what I can for the fish.

I wish there were a fish police. I'd rat my own family out.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

What really is the worst that could happen? The fish could be happy for a couple weeks?

Huh this is good info, seems counter-intuitive but very important to know.

What does the no3 test on a tank with 2 catfish and a pleco, I can't imagine!!

Hey not to be too optimistic, but using a shop vac is not really that different from using a gravel vac, maybe you should hook them up with a python or just a simple-as-heck pump vacuum and a pair of buckets. Personalize with the names of Pleco #1 and Catfish #1 and #2 and hope for the best :)

I'll report the results of the water test. I won't post pictures though - too disheartening. It's like those Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials with sad dogs.

I do believe I'll get a substrate. I've got wood soaking in a bucket that I have no use for so that can go in. I won't bother with live plants but I'll try to improve the conditions. Appreciate everybody's thoughts. Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom