Can I feed tropical fish food meant for marines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a free sample of nt labs marine ocean food 55 with a magazine. it is for feeding to marine fish, but could I feed it to my three spot gourami for example? Are there any reasons why I couldn't? If I can't, I can give it to a friend who has a goby, I'm just curious :)

I wouldn't. Because theres probably ingredients in there that freshwater fish never eat naturally in their environment. It's probably not good.

The only things it lists are: fish meal, wheat, fish oil, wheat gluten and yeast. So when you say it probably has something in there that freshwater fish wouldn't usually eat, do you mean maybe the type of fish that the fish meal is made of?

Fishies86 said:
The only things it lists are: fish meal, wheat, fish oil, wheat gluten and yeast. So when you say it probably has something in there that freshwater fish wouldn't usually eat, do you mean maybe the type of fish that the fish meal is made of?

Well, I was thinking some type of seaweed or sometype of shrimp or crab in there. But I guess there isn't. From those ingredients it doesnt sound like it would hurt them, but I still wouldn't try

Those are the same ingredients that are in the food I feed both my tanks. I don't see any harm honestly. I feed my fish xtreme aquatic foods and it contains the same ingredients

Fishies86 said:
I got a free sample of nt labs marine ocean food 55 with a magazine. it is for feeding to marine fish, but could I feed it to my three spot gourami for example? Are there any reasons why I couldn't? If I can't, I can give it to a friend who has a goby, I'm just curious :)

What magazine as I got that as well
Was it practical fishkeeping

George9 said:
I wouldn't. Because theres probably ingredients in there that freshwater fish never eat naturally in their environment. It's probably not good.
Fishies86 said:
LOL! Fish get lots of wheat, wheat gluten and yeast in their natural environment. Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

It's good business to tack "marine" on things, you can then charge more. ;)

blert said:
LOL! Fish get lots of wheat, wheat gluten and yeast in their natural environment. Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

I know lol I meant like some foods have stuff found in saltwater in them. Like rods food.

blert said:

Hah hah :) yeah I thought that too ;)

Back
Top Bottom