Can I fit 2 cory cats and 6 more neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Aqueon quiet flow 50 (250 GPH) and a API superclean 100 GPH. I also remove and replace 6 gallons a week :) PS I do plan on buying a Mairineland 350 bio wheel.

Yes you are underfiltered but not by much. I'm gonna say no to adding more fish and no 50% a week is not needed. You can change 10-15 gallons a week and be perfectly fine. If you do wanna change 50% that's fine too and will not hurt any of the fish just make sure the tempatures match up

Yes you are underfiltered but not by much. I'm gonna say no to adding more fish and no 50% a week is not needed. You can change 10-15 gallons a week and be perfectly fine. If you do wanna change 50% that's fine too and will not hurt any of the fish just make sure the tempatures match up

Ok, no more fish (who can resist bringing home a new fish every time you go to your LFS?! Lol!) and I also agree that 10-15 gallons a week sounds good to me (y) thank you for all of your help!!!!! OH, do you think it would be worth it to spend the 30 bucks on a Marineland 350? Do you know if they are any good?

I heard warm water is good for cold water. It makes them grow faster too I have heard.

Actually if cold water fish are kept in warm water depending on the temp used and the type of cold water fish it shortens their life span. Not saying it can't be done but it is not recommended.

Actually if cold water fish are kept in warm water depending on the temp used and the type of cold water fish it shortens their life span. Not saying it can't be done but it is not recommended.

Thanks you! I know common goldfish have been able to adapt to warmer waters perfectly fine but not fancys

Marineland filters work great, IME. The biowheel is brilliant. Their cartridges are overpriced, though, so plan on bulk buying on eBay or doing a bit of DIY to make your replacement media reasonable.

I think my common Goldie should be fine at 74-76 :) I think that fancies can't be at higher temps.

The goldfish is fine and only needs 20g for now. The barb does need more buddys but that's not gonna be possible. 75g can hold 6 common goldfish for a few years very comfortably. This is a question thread not a blame someone for this and that thread. Keep the goldy, and get rid of the barb

Get rid of barb, keep the rest. Add 5 corys as they are bottom dwellers and add 4 more bronze and you are okay. That's my suggestion

I am not blaming someone. The poster asked for help about stocking. Keeping a goldfish and a tinfoil barb along with the other fish he has in a 40 gallon is fine for now, but he will have to change up very soon. That three-inch goldfish will be five inches long in a few months and will see neon tetras as nice snacks. The whole point of this forum is to get good advice and I have been fortunate to get it--even if it isn't always what I wanted to hear. If the OP is determined to keep the goldfish with the tropicals and a barb (that should be kept in a school and will get huge), there is no way he should add additional fish unless he has a larger tank coming within a short time. My advice to the OP is get another smaller tank and enjoy the small tropicals and add to them as you want. Keep your 40 gallon breeder for the goldfish (and tinfoil barb if you really can't rehome him).

Marineland filters work great, IME. The biowheel is brilliant. Their cartridges are overpriced, though, so plan on bulk buying on eBay or doing a bit of DIY to make your replacement media reasonable.

That's great news! I think I will get one soon :) would you suggest the penguin 350 or should I go with the emperor 400?

I am not blaming someone. The poster asked for help about stocking. Keeping a goldfish and a tinfoil barb along with the other fish he has in a 40 gallon is fine for now, but he will have to change up very soon. That three-inch goldfish will be five inches long in a few months and will see neon tetras as nice snacks. The whole point of this forum is to get good advice and I have been fortunate to get it--even if it isn't always what I wanted to hear. If the OP is determined to keep the goldfish with the tropicals and a barb (that should be kept in a school and will get huge), there is no way he should add additional fish unless he has a larger tank coming within a short time. My advice to the OP is get another smaller tank and enjoy the small tropicals and add to them as you want. Keep your 40 gallon breeder for the goldfish (and tinfoil barb if you really can't rehome him).

It takes a year for a common goldfish to reach 6 inches and he has said he isn't getting anymore fish and he also said he will upgrade before that happens

Just find a used cheap Fluval C series, you can replace bio media for anything cheap. There's no expensive biowheel to replace.

The problem with keeping goldies is they produce copious amounts of waste and ammonia. Common GF grow very quickly. I've kept GF and Koi for years and have a 4000g pond and smaller pond. When keeping GF it is actually best to do 1 or even 2 large 50% wc's weekly and to have very good filtration. Large wc's are fine for fish and will not stress them out as many believe. I do a 50% wc on all my tanks weekly including my 220g tank. When I kept my fancy GF I did two large wc's per week and only kept 2 8 inch fancies (mostly tails) in 55g tanks. Plus I used a Fluval 406 canister and a large Wisper filter. You need to watch your Kh level in GF tanks as they tend to make water very acidic quite quickly and can cause Ph to drop very quickly as well. Unless you have very soft tap water doing a large weekly wc or two can ensure your ph and kh remain high but also ensures nutrient/waste levels are kept low.

Just find a used cheap Fluval C series, you can replace bio media for anything cheap. There's no expensive biowheel to replace.

That sounds like a good idea :) speaking of filters, should I get a canister filter instead?

The problem with keeping goldies is they produce copious amounts of waste and ammonia. Common GF grow very quickly. I've kept GF and Koi for years and have a 4000g pond and smaller pond. When keeping GF it is actually best to do 1 or even 2 large 50% wc's weekly and to have very good filtration. Large wc's are fine for fish and will not stress them out as many believe. I do a 50% wc on all my tanks weekly including my 220g tank. When I kept my fancy GF I did two large wc's per week and only kept 2 8 inch fancies (mostly tails) in 55g tanks. Plus I used a Fluval 406 canister and a large Wisper filter. You need to watch your Kh level in GF tanks as they tend to make water very acidic quite quickly and can cause Ph to drop very quickly as well. Unless you have very soft tap water doing a large weekly wc or two can ensure your ph and kh remain high but also ensures nutrient/waste levels are kept low.

You are right, I should do big water changes every week :) do you think I should invest in a canister filter to help filtration?

Back
Top Bottom