Can I fit 2 cory cats and 6 more neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey fish people! I just wanted to ask if I could fit two albino Corry cats and six more neon tetras in my tank? My current stock is in my signature. Just please don't say anything about the Goldie being a cold water fish, I know! Lol! Also, yes I know the Goldie and the barb will get big!

Thanks!

Hey fish people! I just wanted to ask if I could fit two albino Corry cats and six more neon tetras in my tank? My current stock is in my signature. Just please don't say anything about the Goldie being a cold water fish, I know! Lol! Also, yes I know the Goldie and the barb will get big!

Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I checked AqAdvisor and it said I was about 110 percent overstocked (that is with 2 corrys and 12 neons). BUT, they are counting the Goldie and barb as their size! Right now, they are both about 3 inches.

I would probably look at increasing the Cory's only, the more corys the better they are.

Also perhaps rehome the cold water fish(es) as they don't really thrive in warm water. Or so i've read, my experience is different but hey ho.

I don't see any current stock in your signature. What fish do you have, what size is your tank, and most importantly, what filter(s) are you using?

Also, corydoras are great fish but they are happier in groups of five or more. They are very social fish and like to have other corys around to play with.

I don't see any current stock in your signature. What fish do you have, what size is your tank, and most importantly, what filter(s) are you using?

Sorry about that :facepalm: in a 40 gallon I have:

Golfish
Tinfoil barb
Swordtail
Balloon Molly
6 neon tetras

I would probably look at increasing the Cory's only, the more corys the better they are.

Also perhaps rehome the cold water fish(es) as they don't really thrive in warm water. Or so i've read, my experience is different but hey ho.

I know the Goldie is a cold water fish, but it keep the tank at 75, which I think is fine for the tropicals and the Goldie :)

I heard warm water is good for cold water. It makes them grow faster too I have heard.

How long have you had the goldie? What type is it--comet or fancy? They grow so rapidly that 1) filtration might not be able to keep up, 2) he/she will think your neons are a nice snack. The other problem is your tinfoil barb--those things get HUGE and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. If you want to add more neons and cories (and yes, a group would be happier), I would find a new home for the tinfoil barb and the goldfish (or start a new tank?) :brows:

Yes goldfish are coldwater fish but I have noticed comets tend to adapt rather well to warmer waters while fancys need colder water

The issue here is that a goldfish and a tinfoil barb (which should also be kept in a school of 5 or 6) both need huge spaces, even with good filtration (which hasn't been mentioned, by the way). Unless these are both baby fish with a new home (of at least 75 gallons) in the near future, they shouldn't be in that tank with the others.

The issue here is that a goldfish and a tinfoil barb (which should also be kept in a school of 5 or 6) both need huge spaces, even with good filtration (which hasn't been mentioned, by the way). Unless these are both baby fish with a new home (of at least 75 gallons) in the near future, they shouldn't be in that tank with the others.

The goldfish is fine and only needs 20g for now. The barb does need more buddys but that's not gonna be possible. 75g can hold 6 common goldfish for a few years very comfortably. This is a question thread not a blame someone for this and that thread. Keep the goldy, and get rid of the barb

Get rid of barb, keep the rest. Add 5 corys as they are bottom dwellers and add 4 more bronze and you are okay. That's my suggestion

The goldfish is fine and only needs 20g for now. The barb does need more buddys but that's not gonna be possible. 75g can hold 6 common goldfish for a few years very comfortably. This is a question thread not a blame someone for this and that thread. Keep the goldy, and get rid of the barb

Get rid of barb, keep the rest. Add 5 corys as they are bottom dwellers and add 4 more bronze and you are okay. That's my suggestion

Hey thanks for sticking up for my thread :) there's no way I can get rid of the barb, I will just have to keep getting bigger tanks :banghead: To be honest though, they are all getting along quite well. Even the Goldy doesn't mind the tetras. Nothing is for sure, but I hope to upgrade to a 90+ tank (but like I said, it's only if I win the lottery or something :lol:) do you think my tank is over stocked so far?

No its not overstocked but I wouldn't add anything if you can't rehome the barb

Yeah there's no way I'd get rid of him, I'm actually looking forward to seeing him get big :) Do you think that I could at least add some more neon tetras?

What's your filtration and water change schedule at the moment?

I have a Aqueon quiet flow 50 (250 GPH) and a API superclean 100 GPH. I also remove and replace 6 gallons a week :) PS I do plan on buying a Mairineland 350 bio wheel.

Back
Top Bottom