Can I get a Breeding Pair Of Discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Local Fish Store has a Amazing breeding pair of super checkerboard discus that are very large and look extremely healthy. I would want to put them in my 75 gallon planted community tank. Would I be able to do this or would it not work?

Water is perfect for discus Soft, with 6.4ph

Other Fish:
9 Cardinal Tetras
2 Pairs of German Blue Rams
5 Pearl Gouramies

Filtration isnt an issue or water changes I only worry about compatibility. From my knowledge there would be nothing wrong with doing this but then again I have never kept Discus and they are 250$ for the pair so I want to be sure they will be fine.

Should be ok. The only worry would be the gouramis . Also there is no guarantee when you put them in your tank that they still would be a pair.

Should be ok. The only worry would be the gouramis . Also there is no guarantee when you put them in your tank that they still would be a pair.

Would it just be better to have 5 then? I mean if i got them a bit younger I could get 5 for the price of the pair.

I would personally put them into their own tank, but that is JMO. A friend of ours breeds discus in 29's with just the pairs. If they try to breed in a community tank I'd imagine it would be pretty stressful on them. I do not breed discus though so that is just an idea.

If you get them younger your looking at 75% pwcs daily. Plus the bio load is a lot higher for younger discus . Me personally I have 5 discus in a 75 with no other fish. If you really want discus I would recommend discus only tank.

Back
Top Bottom