Can I get an ID on these bristlenoses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I got these guys in a month or so ago under the assumption that they were green dragons. I can't seem to find any pictures during my google searches of juvies and since they really don't look green to me in any way, I'm starting to be a bit iffy on the whole situation. I did/do trust the seller, I've bought BN's from this person before and have always got what I asked for, so maybe I shouldn't be as worried as I am, but i just want to find out what these are badly. If they turn out to just be a common (yes, I know GD's, calicos and albinos are all commons, but different color variants-- I mean common coloring) then I will want to re-sell them to make room for some actual GD's. While I love these little guys, I want to breed some of the more rare varieties and common coloring just won't make the cut with my limited space.

Anyways, heres some pictures. To me they look a bit like starlights only their spotting is a bit smaller and their dorsal doesn't have as much white as starlights.

If you need clearer pics, please let me know. it's a hard job with them being so small and in such a heavily planted tank, but I'm willing to do what it takes to get these identified asap.

Look like BNs to me, don't look like commons.

Yeah, I know they are BN's for sure, but not sure if they are common BN's l333, common BN of a special color variant, or another sort of ancistrius.

There are so many different types of ancistrius (bristlenoses) that it's hard for me to figure out exactly what they are.

Still crossin my fingers for green dragon bn but I'm not sure anymore.

that's what I was thinking too, but if I remember correctly, starlights have 9 dorsal rays, and mine dont, or atleast whenever i try to cound I only get to like 6 before they move

The seller finally got back to me. He said that they are in fact green dragons but take a while to grow into their color as they go through stages of color morphing. First they look like a common, then they start getting green patches, then turn into a more lime green color, and one or two more stages before finally getting into that hunter/olive green they are known for.
I guess that he's been confused about them as well in the past and has made sure to keep the green dragons in a completely seperate tank from anyone else now so he can be 100% positive that he's giving people what they paid for.

I guess I'm not the only one that's wondered out of his customers, so that makes me feel a lot better.

Anyways, basically I just wanted to post what he said in case anyone ever wonders the same as I am for a bit of peace of mind :)

If it is a starlight then I am jealous. (I have no more room in my tank).

Lol in terms of starlights its more common to be out of $$$ than room

Ha, too true. But I would spend a fortune on a pair quite happily if I just had room for them. And actually, there are sellers who have starlight fry for not too much. £12 each. I'd call that a fair price.

Definatly starlight brittle nose

The white accent on the tail is a dead give away

They do all look like starlights, but I've heard they have to have 10 dorsal rays to be a starlight and from what I've counted they only have 8.
Plus I'm nearly positive if the seller thought they were starlights, he would have advertised them as such and the price would have been much higher. I got these guys for $30 total, 5 of them.

Im still betting on starlight

And i think we have all crossed paths with an undereducated lfs employee

But yeah those starlights go for $40 a pop at full size

I think wiggles might be right.
Maybe a starlight crossed with a green dragon.
I faintly remember the seller mentioning he was trading his starlight female to the LFS after I bought these guys.

Thanks :) I have been on a hunt for true starlights since before I started a hunt for green dragons, so it'd be pretty cool for them to be a mix if I wasn't so interested in breeding.
But, does anyone know how much I could ask for fry of these guys in the future?
If they are a mix, I'm assuming not very much. Just trying to figure it out before I come to that bridge because I don't want to end up with a ton of fry that I can't rehome.

So just a story for u! The lady I normally order my fish from recently sorta messed my order up so to make up for it she sent me a baby starlight! Beautiful little baby:) honestly never even heard of them before but I'm in love

Back
Top Bottom