Can I have these Tinny Fish? PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Galaxy Rasbora

does anyone know anything about/keep these fish?

i have seen them online before..my lfs has some in, they want 9.99 each :? or $18 for a male-female pair. do you think this is a reasonable price..i know they are not that "common" at least not around minnesota.

would they be happy in just a pair or are they more of a schooling fish?

the only tanks i have now would not be suitable for them, 10 gallon Dwarf Puffers (that would not work) and 10 Gallon Apisto tank (feeder guppies would be a much cheaper food source).

i was thinking of a THIS provided the "betta Divider" comes out... do you think this would be ok for a pair or small school (4 or so) of this tinny wonders?

aa

I googled them about a month ago when I first saw them and just now, still not a lot of useful info out there. I did stumble across a chat forum in I think Singapore, talking about some of the nano fish. Strangely it was all in English.

I am guessing like most danio relatives a school is going to work better. And 10 bucks a pop sounds resonable for a lfs. I have seen cheaper on Aquabid, but then that is normal. Hmmmm. Any chance you could scrounge up a cheap 15 or 20 high on craigslist? Now that would be cool!! And expensive to stock, unfortunately.

Why do you think the apistos would eat them? I don't think they would. I doubt that they could keep up with the fast moving danios.

As for the price, $10 each doesn't sound all that bad but when you factor in the fish being a danio it sounds a bit high. Supposedly they are a new specie but to me it would not be worth the price. I paid about $45 for 6 GBR's online (I was sent 8) and I would have spent more on them. For danios though, I would not spend that much. I suppose it is all a matter of personal preference and I really don't like danios. I do have 4 danios in my 55 gallon tank but they were only put in to try and take some of the aggression away from the GBR's. I wanted them to go for other fish and not quarrel amongst themselves.

I've heard they are easy to keep, but you want a school of six at least. They are very lovely little fish!

YES, you can have them. In fact, we insist upon it. Just get a 5-gallon setup instead of a 2.5g

:)

PS-Do look at Aquabid; might be cheaper that way, even with shipping.

bs6749 said:
Why do you think the apistos would eat them? I don't think they would. I doubt that they could keep up with the fast moving danios.

As for the price, $10 each doesn't sound all that bad but when you factor in the fish being a danio it sounds a bit high. Supposedly they are a new specie but to me it would not be worth the price. I paid about $45 for 6 GBR's online (I was sent 8) and I would have spent more on them. For danios though, I would not spend that much. I suppose it is all a matter of personal preference and I really don't like danios. I do have 4 danios in my 55 gallon tank but they were only put in to try and take some of the aggression away from the GBR's. I wanted them to go for other fish and not quarrel amongst themselves.
i guess i do not know for a fact that the Apisto wouold eat them, but since they are only 5 mm right now i think if they can catch them they will eat them... :?

I didn't realize they were that small. I doubt that they would be able to catch them though. Apistos will be on the bottom-mid level of the tank and the danios will most likely be on the top for the most part.

Still, it may be too much of a loss monetarily to even consider. If you do get them, I would buy some moss of some kind and let it float around in the tank for cover.

Edit: Just thought about this...if they were only 5 mm I would avoid them. They really aren't even close to being full grown at only 5mm and they have a lot of developing to do. Some of them may not be healthy enough to make it and that would be hard to judge healthy ones of that size. If it were me I would buy from www.aquabid.com I have seen them on there quite frequently.

Where ever you get them from, get them! We will all be deathly jealous. They're going to be expensive for a while until they become more common. You may get a return on your investment, though. They are supposed to be fairly easy to breed. And then you can share with us. :)

Mosaic said:
They are supposed to be fairly easy to breed. And then you can share with us. :)
the only fish i have ben able to beed so far have been Convicts :? are they THAT easy?

if i did get them to breed though i would of course try to flood the market with cheap ones :twisted:

bs6749 said:
Edit: Just thought about this...if they were only 5 mm I would avoid them. They really aren't even close to being full grown at only 5mm and they have a lot of developing to do. Some of them may not be healthy enough to make it and that would be hard to judge healthy ones of that size. If it were me I would buy from www.aquabid.com I have seen them on there quite frequently.
ok, might have been closer to a full cm i know they max out at 3/4 inch :?

i have a plan lol the 10 i have the apisto... i can move him to my 75 gallon and put them in there :D

This is a note from another forum, from someone I have dealt with before. I know she is a good fish keeper *shrimp, snails, plants, etc* so I thought I would pass on her warning:

im not sure if these fish have been coming in all over the country and breaking down, but in ohio we've gotten some from reliable florida wholesalers and they have been breaking down with pretty bad bacterial infections. at $10-15 a pop retail, I figure someone would benefit from this warning.

i personally bought 10, 3 died. then i bought 3 more and they all died. so be careful and QT.

good luck!

and another says this:
that's strange. I got some in Nov and they are doing wonderfully. All 12 of them have not only survived, but thrived...
I did worm them, however, and I am keeping them warm.
Try upping the temp, adding salt, and worming. I also kept them in a heavily mossed QT with pimafix for the first couple weeks at around 80-82

Musket said:
This is a note from another forum, from someone I have dealt with before. I know she is a good fish keeper *shrimp, snails, plants, etc* so I thought I would pass on her warning:

im not sure if these fish have been coming in all over the country and breaking down, but in ohio we've gotten some from reliable florida wholesalers and they have been breaking down with pretty bad bacterial infections. at $10-15 a pop retail, I figure someone would benefit from this warning.

i personally bought 10, 3 died. then i bought 3 more and they all died. so be careful and QT.

good luck!

i actually posted about them on my local fish keepers forum about a month ago (so i have been think about them a while :D ) i was told that one of the guys who is selling on aquabid is local, they are locally breed and i could probabaly visit him and hand pick my fish, though i did not talk directly to that guy.

Hubby and I have also decided to get some of these little guys. We are going to house them in a 10g with GBR and 3 kuhli loaches. We have to wait until after the 15th, but we are defintly getting a school of 6 (they are 3 for $18 at the only local lfs that has them)

Back
Top Bottom