can I jimmy rig an Aqueon filter to save $

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an aqueon filter for my 16 gal. I'm looking for some ideas on how I can save money so I do not have to continuously buy the filter cartridges. (At least not have to buy them as often). I use about one a month and would like to stretch out the use.

Thanks!

You don't need to change them until they are falling apart.
When you throw your filter pads away, you throw the beneficial bacteria away. The same bacteria that helps your aquarium keep the toxin levels down for your fish.

What about if they get so clogged, the water no longer passes through as it should? Can I rinse them and reuse? what about filter pads? I have the big square ones that you can buy in bulk for my other tank.

rinse them every other time or every time you change the water just a quick shake in the old tank water will clean it out pretty good.

I cut off the filter floss from an old filter cartridge and use rubber bands or string to secure some cut bulk media to the plastic frame. Other than that, as previously stated above, don't change it unless its falling apart. Just rinse it off in old tank water when you do a PWC.

You can check if there are media cages available or see if the Marineland media cages fit your filter. I stuffed a couple of the cages with filter sponge to make my own cartridges for a Penguin 200. They worked better and clogged less than the stock cartridges.

Yes, you can use any type of media you'd like in there, if that's what you're asking. It doesn't have to be the aqueon carts.

I probably change out my filter media 3 times per year..... you were getting ripped off!!!

Craft stores are a great place to find sponges and batting that can be used for filter media.

Back
Top Bottom