Can I keep a betta in my community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoMoreGoldFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I was wondering if I can keep my betta with my neon tetras, glofish, albino cory cats and cherry shrimps? I went on aqadvisor and it would have compatibility issues. I did a bit of research on google, and everyone says it's okay. So I'm confused. :confused:

Thanks.

I think you are going to get conflicting answers but I wouldn't try it. I keep my betta in a tank by himself and he is still aggressive. Attacks his reflection.

Edit: I accidentally typed would instead of wouldn't, changed it.

It really depends on their personality however I haven't had much luck with female bettas in community tanks. But I've had 2 males do well with these types of fish just as long as it's a large enough tank 20 g or larger, and none of the fish look like another betta. But then I have a single male betta in my office @ work in a 10 g by himself because whenever I tried to add tank mates he was extremely aggressive and chased them all around the tank! Lol!

You could try it and see! Just keep a close watchful eye for 24 hours or so just be prepared to move the fish if you need too!

I had one male betta live happily and peacefully in a tank with community fish for 2 years! He was my favorite betta my daughter named him rainbow he was so pretty! But after having him 2+ years I found him in the tank just a couple mths ago dead, I guess from old age, :-(

I've been getting conflicting answers, hence I'm asking for people who have had experience with keeping a crown tail betta with those fish. :D

It's a heavily planted 32 gallon tank with lots of floating plants and has 8 orange glofish, 6 albino cory, 7 neon tetras, 6 gold neon tetras and some shrimps. There's a large unoccupied area around the top of my tank, that's why I'm looking at a top swimmer, and this betta is going to be my center piece.

Since I don't have a second tank and the fish stores here won't take fish back so I have to do my research before I go and get any fish. :(

P.S. I'm sorry to hear about your fish, Tigroscr.

It is a coin toss. I have a male crowntail in my 55g planet tank with some java fern on the side with suction cups so he can rest on and he is as calm a can be. So basically it's trial and error.

Yes, you may keep a male beta splendens in a community tank.

However, as with all new additions to a tank, watch watch watch! Make certain there's no excessive chasing or nipping.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
I've been getting conflicting answers, hence I'm asking for people who have had experience with keeping a crown tail betta with those fish. :D

It's a heavily planted 32 gallon tank with lots of floating plants and has 8 orange glofish, 6 albino cory, 7 neon tetras, 6 gold neon tetras and some shrimps. There's a large unoccupied area around the top of my tank, that's why I'm looking at a top swimmer, and this betta is going to be my center piece.

Since I don't have a second tank and the fish stores here won't take fish back so I have to do my research before I go and get any fish. :(

P.S. I'm sorry to hear about your fish, Tigroscr.

Thx! My 10 yr old daughter wouldn't let me flush him it was her first fish so I had to bury him in a small jewelry box in the back yard, we had a funeral for him and the whole works! Lol!

I keep a male betta in my 125 discus/angelfish tank. He was aggressive when alone in his 5gallon, flaring at anyone that got near the tank, he still does in the 125 when I get near him, but he's been really good in the tank and hasn't bothered/been bothered by any other fish at all.

Thanks everyone. I might go and get one tomorrow and see what happens.

I heard that they're jumpers, so maybe I need to buy something to cover the top of my tank too?

Another coin toss. Mines hasn't jumped nor shown indications that he might but to each his own u can say.

It totally depends on the betta's personality. Some bettas do fine in communities while others must be kept solitary. The only way to find out is to try it. If it doesn't work you can just move him.

Keep an accurate cherry shrimp count if you can. I've never ever had a problem with bettas + amano shrimp, but I lost all six of my cherry shrimp to a pair of betta mahachai. Delicious. : ( Bettas are known for being jumpers. An individual might not, but you won't know for sure until you have one do it, and it would suck to come home to a dried out fishy on the floor.

My crowntail betta doesn't bpther anything, even other bettas (we tested, once) but my delta will chase anything not neon tetras. And another instance, I have a new baby crowntail, and he hates everything, even his reflection, but he was just a walmart rescue, and my others were grumpy for months till they learned I wasn't walmart. Its all trial and error, but a good environment (java fern, moss, driftwood, plants, caves, all these things give them places to have quiet time, and I've learned that helps keep nthe temperment down. Goodluck, and it can be done!
(I have bettas in all tanks, and even a shrimp breeding tank with bettas, kuhlis, and vampire shrimp, so its doable)

So, I went for it and bought a beautiful male red crowntail, drip acclimatized him then put him in the tank. It's been four hours, so far so good. He minds his own business, looks like the relaxed chilly or might I add, snobby type. My cherry shrimps aren't bothered by him, and he doesn't really care for them. :D

I know he might act different once he gets used to his surroundings, but he is the slowest thing in my tank (besides my bladder snails) so I think there won't be any fish or shrimps getting hurt unless they decided to fight instead of evading.

Thanks everyone for helping me. :)

Ime they do good when added fresh to a tank with inhabitants. Once he establishes territory though, new inquisitions might meet a foul fate :) I added 2 cherries to my new betta tank, and he ate them both lol

Back
Top Bottom