Can I keep a bichir?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He should be okay, but I'm surprised he is getting picked on that much..I had one in my cichlid tank for awhile and he has perfectly fine. I would maybe take him back if you don't think he is a good choice for the tank.

I'm thinking he might have gotten in a fight last night since pretty much all the damage to his pectorals appeared this morning. HIs tail was already ripped up from all of them establishing territories. I'm thinking he might have been looking for food and gotten in a squabble with the catfish or a cichlid. I'll add some aquarium salt to help prevent infection and see what happens.

I'm thinking he might have gotten in a fight last night since pretty much all the damage to his pectorals appeared this morning. HIs tail was already ripped up from all of them establishing territories. I'm thinking he might have been looking for food and gotten in a squabble with the catfish or a cichlid. I'll add some aquarium salt to help prevent infection and see what happens.

I would take him back if he's a baby and getting beat up. You have Africans with him right ?

Too much damage and he will get infections.

Please make sure you leave about a 2 inch gap at the the top, this is so the senegal can get air, if aquarium is full and completely sealed bichir will perish they breath air also, I think thats why their ancestors evolved during the dinosuar days! :)

I think If I was to try it with another one I might have more luck since it would be bigger and I'm assuming that since a bichir is coming out and one is going in it won't be necessary to rearrange the tank. Wanted to double check that this was ok. this would reduce the initial aggression. I'll also put some PVC in from the start in order to make sure that he has some hiding places only he can get too. Hopefully this time it works better. Thanks for all the help.

I ended up getting another one that was about an inch to an inch and a half larger. I also added a bunch of plants. Hopefully it all works out.

I just came home from church and found him in a corner with some bite marks in his fins. I'm thinking it is the catfish. I won't be able to get him back to the store for several days if something does happen because we'll be out of town. Do you have any ideas on how to cut down on aggression?

I just came home from church and found him in a corner with some bite marks in his fins. I'm thinking it is the catfish. I won't be able to get him back to the store for several days if something does happen because we'll be out of town. Do you have any ideas on how to cut down on aggression?

My money is on the featherfin. I have one that bit the entire tail off a 2 inch tetra :-(

Once they start growing, they really limit your choices. Mine takes on my large gibbiceps, my upside down catfishes, and the other smaller featherfin. He gets worse when the lights are up and I feed the tank. He will not come out in the light, even though he REALLY wants that food. It looks like he takes his frustration on his tank mates who are less reticent.

Now I throw a couple of sinking cichlids pellets behind his cave when I feed the others. Seems to keep him calm. That and making sure that there are enough hides that no one needs to try and share his. Feather fins don't do 'sharing'. Lol

I have no problem with the featherfin getting food, he comes right up to the top and grabs it off the surface with the cichlids. It may just be territorial issues. If he looks any worse when we get back I'll probably just return him and call it quits. hopefully he'll figure out where the cats territory is and set one up for himself far away from it.

If you don't want to take out fish , either restructure rocks or decor, or add more rock, plants. If that dosn't solve the problem I would try a larger senegal. Please sit during feeding time , so you can find what 1 fish or group is bullying. Sorry for not responding earlier had a very busy day! :)

I found him dead today... :(. I think he was being harassed to much. I'll just stick with the fish I have. It obviously isn't going to work. Thanks for all the help.

I found him dead today... :(. I think he was being harassed to much. I'll just stick with the fish I have. It obviously isn't going to work. Thanks for all the help.

Sorry to hear that, guess your tank was too aggressive for them . :(

Back
Top Bottom