Can I keep a bichir?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have wanted a senegal bichir for a while now and was wondering if I would be able to keep one in my current setup. The tank is 60 gallons and is 2 ft tall, 4 ft long, and 1 ft wide. THe water in my area is hard and alkaline. The current inhabitants of the tank is an all male african cichlid tank with 1 cobalt zebra, 2 red zebra, 1 kenyi, 1 unidentified peacock, 1 fish that was labeled as a johani (though I believe it is something else), and one featherfin syno. The current inhabitants all get along well and have plenty of hiding spots and caves. If I were to get one it would most likely be introduced with a couple more cichlids in order to spread out aggression, accompanied with a rearranging of the decor. Please let me know what you think. Can I keep one of these fish or do I not have a suitable tank? Thank you.

Your tank is fine, however being in a aggressive tank isn't the best idea. They are hardly fish and would be fine, and the cichlids wouldn't pick on him too much cuz of his size, unless you have full grown cichlids and you get him small.

I would also like to add that if he is bigger and you get smaller cichlids he could eat them, but I'm sure you're getting the bichir small. They are usually peaceful but I heard they can be aggressive. I have had 2 of them and both were active, and very peaceful even with aggressive fish.

the largest cichlid is either the peacock or the red zebra who is the dominant male. They are both between 3 and 4 inches

I could always grow him out a little in my mom's tank if he would be too little to eat her neons. The ones at petsmart are fairly small.

You could, I think he would be fine though..otherwise you could move him if he is getting picked on until he is bigger.

what sort of diet do these guys need. My cichlids and the catfish eat New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets. would he be fine with this or would he be better off with something else?

They eat pretty much anything. They can open there mouths pretty wide and can eat small to medium sized pellets early on. Mine eat shrimp pellets along with brine shrimp, bloodworms etc. I've read that some people have a hard time for them to accept pelleted food, but I have never had a problem.

thanks for the help. The pellets are pretty small but I could drop in some shrimp pellets or something after I turn out the lights since I hear they are good at finding food in the dark. I want to avoid the bloodworms and other "messy" foods since the mbuna aren't supposed to have a high level of protein in their diet. Do you think he'd do ok finding the food if I drop it in after lights out? I'm assuming they'd be weaned onto pellets since i don't see petsmart going the extra mile for blood or earth worms. I could also give him some live bearer fry if I could get my parents interested in some nice platies or mollies... :whistle:

Bichirs are pretty much blind and rely on their sense of smell. I have had mine go right over the top of food before. They will find it though. They eat at anytime of the day but if there is other competition it would be best after dark. Pellets are the most bang for you buck when it comes to them, as long as they take it. Also, if you have a filter intake be sure to put some sort of barrier on it cuz they can get sucked up easily. I lost one that way.. I thought he was big enough not to, but he wasn't :/

Do not like alot of current? I have a powerhead running that is fairly strong to help with circulation. I believe it is 750gph but I am not sure. It is positioned so it is aimed longways across the upper half of the tank..

And I'm pretty sure my filter is fine. THe intake has a grate on it with pretty small slots. Any recomendations for keeping these guys from escaping?

Their natural current is minimal and slow moving. They aren't good swimmers with current, but are fast in short bursts. As long as it isn't too much I think you are okay, they are usually on the bottom, but sometimes skim around near the top from time to time.

ok, I can always try and find a smaller pump if he appears to be struggling or maybe replace it with another filter since I have been thinking about that for a while now. Thanks for all the help. I'll probably get him in a couple weeks once I have a free weekend to rearrange the decor.

got the bichir today, his name is Charlie. :) So far he seems to be doing pretty well and is very active. He also appears to prefer to be in plain view opposed to hiding in a cave. It's not uncommon to see him perched on a rock or plant like he owns the tank. As far as aggression goes I have seen one fish harassing him a few times. However this is also the alpha male and he is also being more aggressive with the other fish in order to make sure he maintains his dominance with the territory changes.

I'll let you know how he does tonight at feeding. I'm hoping he'll get some of the cichlid's food but if not I have some shrimp pellets I can drop in after lights out.

thanks for the help. The pellets are pretty small but I could drop in some shrimp pellets or something after I turn out the lights since I hear they are good at finding food in the dark. I want to avoid the bloodworms and other "messy" foods since the mbuna aren't supposed to have a high level of protein in their diet. Do you think he'd do ok finding the food if I drop it in after lights out? I'm assuming they'd be weaned onto pellets since i don't see petsmart going the extra mile for blood or earth worms. I could also give him some live bearer fry if I could get my parents interested in some nice platies or mollies... :whistle:

At least my Petsmart feeds frozen bloodworms and brine Shrimp to the Bichirs as well as Shrimp Pellets.
The Mbuna got veggies and greens daily.
I know because I worked there. Not all Petsmarts are equal but if they follow the book, that's what they eat.

I asked and they said they got shrimp pellets. He has retreated behind the filter/heater a few times because of aggression but I am assuming the added aggression is because of the territory shift. I am expecting it to subside in a day or two when their all through fighting it out. Even my super peaceful featherfin syno has been doing his fair share of chasing. Hopefully it all works out.

I had a little bit of trouble with feeding. I eventually just broke up a bottom feeder pellet and spread it around for him to find. That way the catfish doesn't take it all. any other suggestions?

If you have sinking small cichlid pellets he wouldeat those..otherwise feed him after lights out and feed him the shrimp pellets. As they grow they are easier to feed to. They are almost blind so take that into consideration when feeding.

I used to feed ours frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp by putting the food into a small bowl of tank water and sucking it up into a Turkey Baster when it defrosted. I would aim it right in front of Bichirs' mouths.

Called Target Feeding.

You can do this after lights out using a red light or blue moonlight if needed. You can see fish, but to them it's still dark.

As far as dropping Pellets , you can use a tube to guide exactly where they will fall.

I have been having a bit of a problem. I am visibly seeing less aggression now but he sustained some injuries and I suspect he is still getting picked on. THese mainly consist of his tail fin which has been repeatedly bitten leaving it in tatters and his pectoral fins which are in the same state with large pieces missing. I believe the problem is that he is either too small or does not have enough hiding places. I put in some fake plants I had lieing around along with a piece of PVC pipe only he can fit in just now to try and help. I do have a 14 day guarantee so do you think I should bring him in and try to exchange him for a larger one or do you think I should just give up on the idea and say it isn't going to work out.

ALso if I do exchange him do you think it would be necessary to rearrange the decor again or could I just make some small changes. Thankyou

Back
Top Bottom