Can I keep a dwarf frog with a ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish king

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will this work or not

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yea I've had dwarf frogs and shrimp together for a few months and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was researching the same and read that it's probably find because the ghost shrimp are hard to see and the frogs vision is poor.

I presume there's a chance it'll eat the shrimp though.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

A ghost shrimp full grown would be an awfully big meal for a dwarf frog, so they'd likely leave it be.

They don't see well but they do have a keen sense of smell and use the lateral lines on their sides like fish do, to sense vibrations. They're very sensitive to vibrations, which is how they catch little fish. No small fish is safe from one of these guys but the shrimp would likely be ok. I'd worry more about cherry shrimp, especially baby ones, they're more the size these frogs go for.

The one exception might be after the shrimp moults, as until the shell hardens they are very soft and easy prey. So it's one of those 'at your own risk' sorts of decisions.

My frogs have always been too slow to catch ghost shrimp. By the time they've decided to strike the shrimp has moved along.

I keep my 4 frogs with Amano shrimp and have yet to lose any, even when the frogs were full grown and the shrimp were fresh from the store. If the frog is well fed he'll be too lazy to bother the shrimp even when the shrimp molt.

Thanks for the help I put him in with 4 of them and they are all doing fine

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom