Can I lean rock slate on glass w/o an issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to stad a piece of slate on its side and lean it against the glass in my tank to make a triangle shaped dark area. Is this OK, or does something need to go between the glass and the rock to prevent damage?

if your fish were like neons or something like that id say its ok, but if a larger fish hits it, it makes a vibration that kinda spooks the fish, like when a heater hits the glass.

I used to have a piece of slate leaning against my glass. None of my fish seemed to mind, but the biggest one was probably my danio.

-j

I would certainly be careful about doing it. I have done the same thing, using the slanted slate as a breeding surface for angels. I scratched the glass, and the whole thing was relatively unstable and I abandoned it, because one well-placed tap on the glass and you have a broken tank. It was not the fish that worried me, since angels don't dig in the substrate, but I would cause the whole thing to shift when doing a gravel vac.

I have rocks leaning against the glass, I hope it doesn't harm it! If it is a large piece of rock, perhaps you can cut a section of eggcrate (I love this stuff now) and put it on the back of the tank...just enough to support the section of rock and still stay hidden.

You are DEFINITELY risking a damaged tank. Safest thing to do is to use transparent silicone (for aquariums) as a bonding agent for the rocks. Basically make the shape you want sticking it with the silicone. You dont need alot as its basically a way to stabilize the structure rather than holding it together. A small amount between the rock and the glass will both protect the glass and hold the rock in its place.
Takes little time to do, and makes sure that whatever you do stays the way you want it to. No accidentally knocking things over when cleaning etc.

When leaning things against the glass you have to make sure that there are no areas behind where the fish could get stuck. If useing silicone at least it would hold it in place and act as a cushion. Is there any way you can stick something on the outside to make the same shadow (dark area).
The other thing about silicone is that you will have to lower your water and dry off where you want to use it, let it cure before refilling your tank.

Back
Top Bottom